Business Requirements - Commercial Vehicle Decals
Under the Local Government Act, municipalities are able to offset expenses related to the commercial use of vehicles on their roads by participating in the Commercial Vehicle Licensing Program. The City of Victoria's Commercial Vehicle Licensing Bylaw follows this program regarding commercial vehicles. According to the bylaw a commercial vehicle is defined as:
"a vehicle used by a person... in the City which is a commercial vehicle defined as such….and a vehicle not so licensed but which is used for the collection or delivery, or both, of merchandise or other commodity in the ordinary course of a business undertaking."
A commercial vehicle could be described as pizza delivery car, a taxi, a construction vehicle or a delivery van. The Commercial Vehicle Licensing Bylaw also states that a commercial vehicle must display a commercial decal:
"No person shall use or operate any vehicle, other than a vehicle exempt under Section 3 (for eg: a farm vehicle) on a highway within the City unless there is displayed on the vehicle a valid and subsisting license plate, in the form of a window decal, issued in accordance with this bylaw."
A vehicle displaying a commercial decal allows a meter hood to be rented for that vehicle. A vehicle with a truck plate bearing four numbers and two letters can also use the City's commercial truck loading zones as described below:
Commercial Truck Loading Zones
A Municipal Decal allows only commercial trucks with license plates bearing four numbers and two letters to stop in a Commercial Truck Loading Zone to a maximum of 30 minutes, for the purpose of loading or unloading only.
- Municipal Decals must be current (calendar year)
- Decals must be clearly visible from the outside of the vehicle
- Municipal Decals do not allow for free street meter parking in the City of Victoria.
- Vehicles that do not display a valid Municipal Decal will be ticketed.
The decal cost is as follows:
- up to 2800 kg - $25.00
- 2801kg to 11800kg - $30.00
- 11801kg to 20000kg - $35.00
- Over 20000kg - $40.00
Current vehicle insurance is required to purchase a decal.
General Loading Zones
- All motor vehicles are allowed to use a General Loading Zone for loading or unloading goods, wares or merchandise to a maximum of 15 minutes.
- All motor vehicles are permitted to use a Passenger Loading Zone for loading or unloading passengers to maximum of 3 minutes. The driver must remain in the vehicle.
For more information please contact the Public Service Centre at 250.361.0224 or E-mail UsGo to Top