Looking for more information about a current initiative? These resources will provide background information to help answer any questions you may have.
- Participatory Budgeting: Participatory Budgeting is an approach to city budgeting that is picking up momentum in cities around the gobe. This is a community-led and designed process where residents determine how to allocate a portion of a City budget.
- Pop-Up @ the Square: Grab your binoculars! A pod of life-sized orca replicas will be popping-up in Centennial Square this summer!
- Create Victoria - Make Your Mark!: Thank you to everone who has shared their ideas in-person and online to shape the Create Victoria Arts and Culture Master Plan. We'll be sharing the draft Cultural Policy and draft Master Plan in mid-June for feedback.
- The Mayor's Task Force on Social Enterprise and Social Procurement has developed the action plan, Good Jobs + Good Business = Better Community. The actions in the plan are meant to help people who are out of the workforce get to work, and to grow a strong, inclusive economy at the same time.
- 3 Things for Canada: Imagine if every Canadian did three things for their neighbourhood, their nation, and their world this year. This would equate to more than 100 million acts of community building. To celebrate Canada’s 150th, Canadians are invited to give a gift of three things — three acts of service, large or small, to help their community. The City of Victoria is joining the 3 Things for Canada initiative to mark Canada’s 150th birthday this year.
- New Active Transportation Cycling Network: A 30 km network of protected bike lanes is currently being planned for Victoria. The proposed network will be within 400 metres of every school and half of all Victoria residences.
- Housing Strategy: Victoria is committed to improving housing affordability in the City. The Victoria Housing Strategy contains 26 ambitious actions the City will be taking to do this.
- Planning for the future of Crystal Pool: The Crystal Pool and Fitness Centre is now 45 years old. On February 16, staff will bring forward a report that will respond to specific topics related to the Crystal Pool Feasibility Study. The report (click here) provides a response including key findings and implications for future facility options.
- Johnson Street Bridge Replacement Project: Construction of a new bridge is currently underway in downtown Victoria and expected to be complete by the end of 2017.
- Burnside Gorge Neighbourhood Plan: The plan was launched with the community in January of 2015. Residents and businesses have helped shape the plan through numerous engagement activities.
- Neighbourhood Plans: From March 2016 to February 2019, 10 Neighbourhood Plans will be created in collaboration with the community.
- Fairfield Gonzales Neighbourhood Plan: Community conversations on the plan began on April 9, 2016
- Vic West Neighbourhood Plan: Community conversations on the Vic West plan began on May 28, 2016
- Plan. Grow. Play: With the help of the community, the City is developing a Parks and Open Spaces Master Plan to guide improvements to these spaces over the next 25 years.
- Growing in the City: You can now grow, harvest, package, store and sell a range of food anywhere in Victoria, while limiting impacts to your neighbours.
- Medical Cannabis Businesses: Regulations for medical cannabis businesses have been implemented in Victoria, to reduce community impacts of these businesses while maintaining access to medical cannabis.
- Visual Victoria: Visual Victoria is a program that will refresh the overall look and feel of downtown, and will introduce an efficient system to help people find their way to key points in the city. An open house will be held on March 30 from 5pm-7pm at City Hall to share the draft plan and collect feedback on the public's implementation priorities before it's presented to Council.
Go to Top