Ship Point Master Plan
Revitalizing the inner harbour!
The City is developing a Ship Point Master Plan that will implement the vision for the area as a high quality waterfront park and signature events and festival site.
The master plan will include detailed site design, phasing and cost estimates, identifying immediate priorities, as well as long-term actions.
Where we are today
As of June 1, 2017, the project team, working closely with stakeholders, has developed:
- Phase 1 Assessment Report [PDF - 16.1 MB] which includes a project overview and background, a summary of previous planning initiatives, and a detailed site and context analysis. Together, these provide the foundation and framework for the development of conception optons and a preferred concept in future phases.
- Concept Options Memo [PDF - 15.7 MB]which provides a summary of the design framework and preliminary concept options for Ship Point. These are being used to explore and test different approaches to site design. Elements from these preliminary concepts will be used to develop a Draft Preferred Concept which will be presented for input and feedback at a Public Open House in July.
The Ship Point Master Plan Process will occur over the following three phases:
- Assessment and Definition (March/April 2017)
- Conceptual Design (May - September 2017)
- Detailed Design and Final Master Plan (September – December 2017)
The community has provided significant feedback and input into the vision for this important site. The community's vision is now being transformed into an action plan through this process. The community will be consulted on concept designs in the early part of the summer. The feedback will be used to finalize the master plan will be presented back to the community in early fall.
About Ship Point
Ship Point, a central feature of the inner harbour, plays host to numerous events and festivals. It provides access to the Harbour Air Sea Plane terminal and the proposed Harbour Pathway.
Past planning and engagement has resulted in a shared community vision and set of objectives for Ship Point (read Harbour Vitality Principles). The following key opportunities and objectives have been identified:
- Provide a site design and infrastructure to create a signature waterfront park and destination, and to support the location of year-round special events and festivals
- Strengthen pedestrian connections along the waterfront and to the Downtown
- Provide limited parking and improve the overall aesthetics
- Program the site for year round activity to make the site more inviting
- Support downtown economic health and vibrancy
- Maintain access and circulation to the sea plane terminal