Ship Point Master Plan
Revitalizing the Inner Harbour!
The City is developing a Ship Point Master Plan that will implement the vision for the area as a high quality waterfront park and signature events and festival site. The master plan will include detailed site design, phasing and cost estimates, identifying immediate priorities, as well as long-term actions.
Staff are currently working on the detailed design concept, implementation approach, and funding strategy. This work has been delayed as a result of an assessment of the pier which determined that a number of piles have been damaged by worms. The pier has been temporarily shut and the City and joint land owner, Greater Victoria Harbour Authority, have confirmed the intention to replace the pier structure in its current form and location.
Public consultation on draft Master Plan: March/April 2018
Presentation to Council for adoption: May 2018
What's happened so far?
Thanks to everyone who provided feedback on the Ship Point design concept! More than 300 people attended two open houses in late July and 147 survey responses and 8 feedback emails were received.
On September 21, 2017, Council approved the Ship Point Concept Design. View the renderings below.
View the Open House Display Boards:
As of June 1, 2017, the project team, working closely with stakeholders, has developed:
- Phase 1 Assessment Report [PDF - 16.1 MB] which includes a project overview and background, a summary of previous planning initiatives, and a detailed site and context analysis. Together, these provide the foundation and framework for the development of conception optons and a preferred concept in future phases.
- Concept Options Memo [PDF - 15.7 MB]which provides a summary of the design framework and preliminary concept options for Ship Point. These are being used to explore and test different approaches to site design. Elements from these preliminary concepts will be used to develop a Draft Preferred Concept which will be presented for input and feedback at a Public Open House in July.
Past planning and engagement has resulted in a shared community vision and set of objectives for Ship Point (read Harbour Vitality Principles). The following key opportunities and objectives have been identified:
- Provide a site design and infrastructure to create a signature waterfront park and destination, and to support the location of year-round special events and festivals
- Strengthen pedestrian connections along the waterfront and to the Downtown
- Provide limited parking and improve the overall aesthetics
- Program the site for year round activity to make the site more inviting
- Support downtown economic health and vibrancy
- Maintain access and circulation to the sea plane terminal
About Ship Point
Ship Point, a central feature of the inner harbour, plays host to numerous events and festivals. It provides access to the Harbour Air Sea Plane terminal and the proposed Harbour Pathway.Go to Top