Councillor Ben Isitt
c/o 1 Centennial Square
Victoria, BC V8W 1P6
Phone: 250.361.0222 (City Hall)
- Hillside-Quadra Neighbourhood Action Group (January 2015 to December 31, 2016)
Regional Service and Civic Committees
- Capital Regional District (CRD) Board - January 2015 to December 31, 2018
- CRD Water Supply Commission - January 2015 to December 31, 2018
- Community Action Plan on Discrimination - January 2015 to December 31, 2016
- Greater Victoria Harbour Authority Board - January to December 31, 2015
- Victoria Parks and Recreation Foundation Society - January 2015 to December 31, 2016
Ben Isitt was elected to City Council and the CRD Board in 2011. He holds a PhD and an LLB, has taught history at UVic and UBC, and currently holds a research fellowship with the UVic Faculty of Law. An award-winning historian, author and community advocate, Ben has written two books that challenge how we think about BC politics and Canadian history, From Victoria to Vladivostok: Canada's Siberian Expedition, 1917-19 (UBC Press) and Militant Minority: British Columbia Workers and the Rise of a New Left, 1948-1972 (University of Toronto Press).
Ben's involvement in civic politics builds from his long-standing commitment to social justice and environmental protection. He has volunteered with residents and organizations on grassroots campaigns for worker rights, peace, the abolition of poverty and racism, and protecting our region's forests and farmlands from urban sprawl. Ben's research on housing, regional land use, and public education build on this community work. He combines professional and volunteer expertise with hands-on experience working with Victoria's street community as a Housing Support Worker with the Victoria Cool Aid Society.
Ben lives in the Hillside-Quadra neighbourhood and enjoys spending time with family in the outdoors - hiking, canoeing and backcountry camping. He has travelled to more than 60 countries for work and pleasure, gaining a deep appreciation for the world's diverse cultures and natural beauty.Go to Top