Accessibility Working Group
The Accessibility Working Group aims to make City policies, services, infrastructure and facilities more accessible for all by:
- Identifying barriers for persons with disabilities created by current City of Victoria infrastructure,
- Making recommendations as to how to remove these barriers,
- Establishing criteria by which barrier removal can be prioritized and the allocating of funding can be determined, and
- Working with the City of Victoria to draft policies and procedures to prevent the creation of barriers in the future
Accessibility Working Group Terms of Reference:
- To consider the needs of persons with a diverse range of abilities including, but not limited to, physical, sensory, developmental, learning and mental health challenges.
- To recommend solutions which best meet the "wants" of all without compromising the "needs" of any.
If you have an accessibility concern, please contact the engineering department at 250.361.0300 or email email@example.com
British Columbia has a 10-year action plan “Accessibility 2024” aimed at making B.C. more accessible for people with disabilities.
Please see section 8 of the Human Rights Code which prohibits discrimination on the basis of physical or mental disability. http://www.bclaws.ca/Recon/document/ID/freeside/00_96210_01