We are committed to improving customer service and making parking easier for residents, businesses and visitors.
The City of Victoria operates five parkades, three surface parking lots, and has nearly 2,000 on-street parking spaces downtown.
To make parking easier, we're implementing a range of improvements to shift motorists from higher-demand on-street parking spots to available spaces in the City's five parkades.
Check out the new parking improvements below and our new parking brochure. [PDF - 472 KB]
ParkVictoria App and Mobile Web Application
Paying for on-street parking just got easier. You can now pay for on-street parking using your iPhone, iPad, Android smart phone or tablet by downloading the free ParkVictoria app from the App Store or Google Play.
You can also use any data-enabled mobile device to access the ParkVictoria mobile web application at www.parkvictoria.ca. Learn more!
New LED Parking Space Counters Installed at View Street and Bastion Square Parkades
New LED parking space counters are now installed outside of the View Street and Bastion Square Parkades. The counters are designed to alert customers to whether the parkades have available space, saving them time driving around a full parkade in search of a parking spot. If the new counters are found to be helpful, they will be considered for the three other City parkades.
View Street Parkade Stairwell to Partially Close for Maintenance on Sundays
To accommodate maintenance, the stairwell at View Street Parkade will be closed above the third floor on Sundays from 7 a.m. – 5 p.m., from February 8 to April 26, 2015.
During the work, all levels of the parkade will remain open and will be accessible by elevator and driving lanes. Signs will be posted. In the event of an emergency, the parkade stairwell will be made available.
View Street Parkade is located at 743 View Street between Blanshard and Douglas Streets. It is one of the City of Victoria’s five parkades where the first hour is always free, and offers free evening parking Monday to Saturday from 6 p.m. – 8 a.m. and free parking all day Sundays and holidays. Alternate parking is available at the City’s four other parkades.
Call to Artists: Public Art for Johnson Street Parkade
Thank you to artists and artist teams who submitted an Expression of Interest to enter a national, three-stage, juried competition to create new public artwork to enhance Johnson Street Parkade. The deadline for submissions is now closed. Learn more.
As of Monday, September 15, 2014, at City parkades:
- The first hour is always free. (You no longer need a "first-hour-free" coupon.)
- Evening parking is free Monday to Saturday, from 6 p.m. to 8 a.m.
- Parking is free on Sundays and holidays.
- Lower levels are signed as short-term, three-hour maximum parking Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Longer-term parking is available on mid and upper levels at City parkades (on lower levels at Broughton Street Parkade).
- There are more payment options. You can pay an attendant or pay at a parkade pay station before returning to your vehicle or upon exiting.
- You need your entry ticket to exit a parkade, even when parking is free.
- The SafeWalk service provides you with the option of calling a parkade security guard to meet and accompany you to your vehicle. Each parkade has its own SafeWalk phone number posted.
New Parkade Rates
We've reduced our parkade rates. The following parking rates are in effect Monday - Saturday from 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.:
$2 Per Hour (charged in 15 minute increments)
$12 Vehicle Day Rate ($14 at Bastion Square Parkade due to higher demand)
$4 Motorcycle Day Rate (Note: Motorcycle parking is available at all City parkades except Johnson Street Parkade.)
A lost ticket will be charged the day rate.
Historically, much of the on-street parking has had a time limit of 90 minutes.
To provide flexibility and choice to our customers, as of Monday, September 15, 2014:
- There are five parking zones [PDF - 342 KB], ranging from $1.50 to $3 per hour with 90 minute to 24 hour time limits in effect Monday – Saturday from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- On-street parking is free in the evenings from
6 p.m. - 9 a.m.
- On-street parking is free Sundays and holidays.
- Payment can be made by coin, credit card, or the City Parking Card at an on-street pay station within your zone.
- The City Parking Card is a convenient way to pay for on-street parking and allows you to refund any unused time.
- Save yourself at trip to City Hall and pay a parking ticket online or review a parking ticket online.
Of the total 3,846 on-street and City parkade parking spaces downtown, 78% are decreasing in rate or remaining the same, with only 22% increasing in rate.
Upcoming Parking Initiatives
We will continue to investigate opportunities for additional parking improvements downtown to achieve efficiencies. Learn more.
Review of Parking Services
Learn more about the recent review of our parking services.
Did You Know?
With the first hour free, it's only $2 to park for two hours in a City parkade.
- It's free to park for one hour at a City parkade. It's $3 to park on-street for one hour near a City parkade.
- Electric vehicle charging stations are available at City parkades.
- Electric bike charging stations and covered bike parking are also in City parkades.
- You can view and learn more about parking downtown using VicMap.
Interactive Parking Map (VicMap)
Did you know you can view and learn more about parking in Victoria using the City's new VicMap? This interactive mapping system enables you view maps that illustrate the location of metered and non-metered parking spaces, pay stations, the City's five parkades and four surface parking lots, neighbourhood parking, as well as electric vehicle charging stations and bike parking. You can also create your own maps.
View the Interactive Parking Map. Once you have the map open, to make it interactive, click on the red icon "I want to" at the top left corner of the screen. Select from the pull-down menu "Turn map data on/off",then click on "Show Legend" at the bottom left corner of the screen.
Parking - Helpful Links
- On-Street Parking
- Surface Parking Lots
- Pay a Parking Ticket Online
- Review a Parking Ticket Online
- Electric Vehicle Charging Stations at Parkades
- Bicycle Parking
- Parking for People with Disabilities
- Statutory Holidays
- Streets and Traffic Bylaw [PDF - 297 KB]