We are committed to improving customer service and making parking easier for residents, businesses and visitors.
The City of Victoria operates five parkades, three surface parking lots, and has nearly 2,000 on-street parking spaces downtown.
To make parking easier, in fall 2014, we implemented a range of improvements to shift motorists from higher-demand on-street parking spots to available spaces in the City's five parkades.
Check out the parking improvements below and our helpful parking brochure. [PDF - 472 KB]
Free Parking on BC Family Day
Parking at City parkades and at on-street meters will be free on Monday, February 8, 2016 for BC Family Day as well as on Sunday, February 7. (Please note: Pay parking is in effect 24/7 at the City's surface parking lots.)
Annual Concrete Repairs at City Parkades
Each year, the City of Victoria conducts concrete repairs to maintain its parkades. The work may consist of grinding and patching the parkades’ concrete surfaces. During repairs, there will be minimal impact to parking spaces available, however, there will be noise at times due to the use of grinding and jackhammering equipment. Signs will be posted and adjacent businesses will be informed in advance of the work.
Below is the 2016 schedule of the concrete repairs to begin on Monday, January 25.
Bastion Square Parkade Monday, January 25 – Sunday, February 7
Johnson Street Parkade Tuesday, February 9 – Sunday, February 21
Centennial Square Parkade Monday, February 22 – Saturday, March 5
View Street Parkade Sunday, March 6 – Sunday, March 20
We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Scheduled Elevator Maintenance at City Parkades
Scheduled elevator maintenance takes place at City parkades the third week of each month. Below is the maintenance schedule for February. Elevators will be temporarily out-of-service at:
- Centennial Square Parkade – Monday, February 15 from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Johnson Street Parkade – Wednesday, February 17 from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- Bastion Square Parkade – Thursday, February 18 from 9 a.m. – 1 p.m.
- View Street Parkade – Thursday, February 18 from noon – 4 p.m. (Note – One elevator will remain in service during maintenance.)
Signs will be posted. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.
Paying for on-street parking just got easier. You can now pay for on-street parking using your iPhone, iPad, Android smart phone or tablet by downloading the free ParkVictoria app from the App Store or Google Play.
You can also use any data-enabled mobile device to access the ParkVictoria mobile web application at www.parkvictoria.ca. Learn more!
SafeWalk Phone Number
Please note there is now one SafeWalk phone number for all five City parkades. Call 250.686.3715 to arrange for a security guard to meet you at a specific City parkade and accompany you to your vehicle. You can also request this service of a security guard in person at any City parkade. Learn more.
At City parkades:
- The first hour is always free. (You no longer need a "first-hour-free" coupon.)
- Evening parking is free Monday to Saturday, from 6 p.m. to 8 a.m.
- Parking is free all day on Sundays and holidays.
- Lower levels are signed as short-term, three-hour maximum parking Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Longer-term parking is available on mid and upper levels at City parkades (on lower levels at Broughton Street Parkade).
- There are more payment options. You can pay an attendant or pay at a parkade pay station before returning to your vehicle or upon exiting.
- You need your entry ticket to exit a parkade, even when parking is free.
- The SafeWalk service provides you with the option of calling 250.686.3715 to arrange for a parkade security guard to meet and accompany you to your vehicle.
- Electric vehicle charging stations are available at City parkades.
- Electric bike charging stations and bike parking are also offered in City parkades.
City Parkade Rates
We've reduced our parkade rates. The following parking rates are in effect Monday - Saturday from 8 a.m. - 6 p.m.:
$2 Per Hour (charged in 15 minute increments)
$12 Vehicle Day Rate ($14 at Bastion Square Parkade due to higher demand)
$4 Motorcycle Day Rate (Note: Motorcycle parking is available at all City parkades except Johnson Street Parkade.)
A lost ticket will be charged the day rate.
Historically, much of our on-street parking has had a time limit of 90 minutes. To provide flexibility and choice to our customers:
- There are five parking zones [PDF - 342 KB], ranging from $1.50 to $3 per hour with 90 minute to 24 hour time limits in effect Monday – Saturday from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.
- On-street parking is free in the evenings from 6 p.m. - 9 a.m.
- On-street parking is free all day Sundays and holidays.
- The ParkVictoria app makes paying for on-street parking easier and sends you alerts when parking time is running out.
- Payment can be made by coin, credit card, the ParkVictoria app, or the City Parking Card at an on-street pay station within your zone.
Learn more about on-street parking downtown.
Parking for People with Disabilities
Learn about downtown parking for people with disabilities.
Interactive Parking Map (VicMap)
Did you know you can view and learn more about parking in Victoria using the City's VicMap? This interactive mapping system enables you view maps that illustrate the location of metered and non-metered parking spaces, pay stations, the City's five parkades and four surface parking lots, neighbourhood parking, as well as electric vehicle charging stations and bike parking. You can also create your own maps.
View the Interactive Parking Map. Once you have the map open, to make it interactive, click on the red icon "I want to" at the top left corner of the screen. Select from the pull-down menu "Turn map data on/off",then click on "Show Legend" at the bottom left corner of the screen.
Experiencing a Problem?
Review of Parking Services
Learn more about the review of our parking services that took place in 2014 and future opportunities for improvement.
Streets and Traffic Bylaw
Learn more about the City's Streets and Traffic Bylaw [PDF - 624 KB].