Permits & Inspections
You're ready to get started on your new development or home renovation. Applying for the proper permits is your first step.
- Help prevent legal complications when trying to sell your home or business
- Are needed to check that your home or business conforms to City bylaws, BC Building Code, and health and safety standards
- Enable you, as an owner, to make sure the home you are living in is safe for you and your family
When do I need a permit?
When you are:
- building a house, garage, any accessory building over 10 sq. m.
- replacing existing structures (i.e. stairs, deck, garage)
- renovating a residential or commercial space (tenant improvements)
- changing the legal use of the premise or space
- converting unfinished space to finished space
- changing or installing any electrical wiring, or upgrade of your electrical panel
- changing or installing any plumbing fixtures or equipment
- changing or installing signage
- paving a driveway (drainage required)
If you are not sure if you need a permit, send us an email with a description of the project and type of building.
How do I get a permit?
Submit your completed application form along with all supporting documentation and plans to a Permits and Inspection Clerk. You can apply for your permit in person, by fax, or email.
Click here to find out how to calculate your Permit Fees [PDF - 79 KB].
Notice to Applicants for Permits
To help us provide better service, please ensure your application package is complete for your submission.
The inspectors are generally in the office from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. for phone calls and counter services, and there is one plumbing and electrical inspector on a rotational basis available from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. every day for counter services. Outside of these hours, you are best to email your requests or questions with the details and your phone number. You may also choose to leave a message on their voice mail; however, Inspectors may not check this until the next business day when they are back in the office.
If you have an inquiry for permits that are not assigned specifically, or you just want to check the status of your permit, you may phone 250.361.0344 ext. 0 or email Permits.
Weekdays 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Office hours for Inspectors are between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. Monday to Friday.
Please be advised the Permits and Inspections Division has a monthly staff meeting the last Wednesday of every month from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Permits and Inspections staff will not be available for counter or phone enquiries during this time.Go to Top