Permits & Inspections
You're ready to get started on your new development or home renovation. Applying for the proper permits is your first step.
When do I need a permit?
When you are:
- building a house, garage, any accessory building over 10 sq. m.
- replacing existing structures (i.e. stairs, deck, garage)
- renovating a residential or commercial space (tenant improvements)
- changing the legal use of the premise or space
- renovations where you are converting unfinished space to finished space
- changing or installing any electrical wiring, or upgrade of your electrical panel
- changing or installing any plumbing fixtures or equipment
- changing or installing signage
- paving a driveway (drainage required)
If you are not sure if you need a permit, ask the area Inspector.
- Part 3 Building Inspector Boundaries (Three storey building with floor area greater than 600m2 on the largest floor) [PDF - 2.8 MB]
- Part 9 Building Inspector Boundaries (Single Family Dwelling up to four dwelling units) [PDF - 2.8 MB]
- Electrical Inspector Boundaries [PDF - 2 MB]
- Plumbing Inspector Boundaries [PDF - 2.1 MB]
How do I get a permit?
Submit your completed application form along with all supporting documentation and plans to a Permits and Inspection Clerk. You can apply for your permit in person, by fax, or email.
Click here to find out how to calculate your Permit Fees [PDF - 79 KB].
The City of Victoria provides access to permit records, plans and other property related information for a fee.
Accessing City Building and Plumbing Plans
The City of Victoria provides access to building and plumbing plans while ensuring that the privacy of property owners is protected.
Generally, we require one business day to compete the search. However, some information is stored off-site which may require additional time to retrieve.
There is a $25.00 plus tax search fee to retrieve plans. There is no guarantee that the City will have plans on file for all properties. There will be additional costs if you require copies of plans which are sent off-site for copying.
If you are accessing information on behalf of a property owner (e.g. realtor or owner’s representative), please have the owner complete the Permission to Access City Plans [PDF - 26 KB] form.
The search will be carried out the next business day after receiving both the fee and the permission form in our office. The person who requested the plans will be contacted when the plans are ready to view. Plans will be available to view for one week.
Requests can be made by emailing email@example.com and giving a credit card number over the phone for payment or the form can be handed in and payment made in person at the permits and inspections counter at City Hall.
Notice to Applicants for Permits
To help us provide better service, please ensure your application package is complete for your submission.
The inspectors are generally in the office from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. for phone calls and counter services, and there is one plumbing and electrical inspector on a rotational basis available from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. every day for counter services. Outside of these hours, you are best to email your requests or questions with the details and your phone number. You may also choose to leave a message on their voice mail; however, Inspectors may not check this until the next business day when they are back in the office.
If you have an inquiry for permits that are not assigned specifically, or you just want to check the status of your permit, you may phone 250.361.0344 ext. 0 or email Permits.
Who and when do I call for an inspection?
We recommend you plan ahead and give at least one business day as notice for an inspection. Please do not call for an inspection until the work is ready to be inspected.
- To arrange for a building inspection contact a Permits and Inspections Clerk at 250.361.0344 ext. 0. Refer to the Inspection Record in your Building Permit Package for applicable inspections.
- To arrange for a plumbing inspection contact a Permits and Inspections Clerk at 250.361.0345 ext. 0.
- To arrange for an electrical inspection authorizations can be hand delivered, faxed or emailed.
Weekdays 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Office hours for Inspectors are between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. Monday to Friday.
Please be advised the Permits and Inspections Division has a monthly staff meeting the last Tuesday of every month from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Permits and Inspections staff will not be available for counter or phone enquiries during this time.Go to Top