Permits & Inspections
You're ready to get started on your new development or home renovation. Applying for the proper permits is your first step.
- Are needed to check that your home or business conforms to City bylaws, BC Building Code, and health and safety standards
- Enable you to make sure the home you are living in is safe for you and your family
- Help prevent legal complications when trying to sell your home or business
When do I need a permit?
When you are:
- building a house, garage or an accessory building over 10 sq. m.
- replacing existing structures (i.e. stairs, deck, garage)
- renovating a residential or commercial space (tenant improvements)
- changing the legal use of the premise or space
- converting unfinished space to finished space
- changing or installing any electrical wiring, or upgrade of your electrical panel
- changing or installing any plumbing fixtures or equipment
- changing or installing signage
- paving a driveway (drainage required)
If you are not sure if you need a permit, send us an email with a description of the project and type of building.
How do I get a permit?
Submit your completed application form along with all supporting documentation and plans to a Permits and Inspection Clerk. You can apply for your permit in person, by fax, or email.
Click here to find out how to calculate your Permit Fees [PDF - 94 KB].
To help us provide better service, please ensure your application package is complete for your submission.
If you have an inquiry for permits that are not assigned specifically, or you just want to check the status of your permit, please phone 250.361.0344 ext. 0 or email Permits.
Weekdays 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.Go to Top