Permits & Inspections


You're ready to get started on your new development or home renovation. Applying for the proper permits is your first step.


  • Help prevent legal complications when trying to sell your home or business
  • Are needed to check that your home or business conforms to City bylaws, BC Building Code, and health and safety standards
  • Enable you, as an owner, to make sure the home you are living in is safe for you and your family

When do I need a permit?

When you are:

  • building a house, garage, any accessory building over 10 sq. m.
  • replacing existing structures (i.e. stairs, deck, garage)
  • renovating a residential or commercial space (tenant improvements)
  • changing the legal use of the premise or space
  • renovations where you are converting unfinished space to finished space
  • changing or installing any electrical wiring, or upgrade of your electrical panel
  • changing or installing any plumbing fixtures or equipment
  • changing or installing signage
  • paving a driveway (drainage required)

If you are not sure if you need a permit, ask the area Inspector.

When can I start the work I am planning?

As soon as you have your permits, but not before.

How do I get a permit?

Submit your completed application form along with all supporting documentation and plans to a Permits and Inspection Clerk. You can apply for your permit in person, by fax, or email.

Click here to find out how to calculate your Permit Fees [PDF - 79 KB].

Owner's Authorization Form

As of January 1, 2013, all proposed building permit applications must be accompanied by an owner's authorization form.

This form must be signed by the registered owner and the owner's agent, if the owner wishes to appoint or authorize another person to act on their behalf for the purposes of the building permit and subsequent trade permits.

An authorized agent may be the designer/registered professional, general contractor, or project manager. The owner should appoint an authorized agent with due care, as the agent is the applicant for the building permit, and will be able to authorize subsequent trade permits where needed. The City's expectation is the authorized agent is the contact with respect to all matters that arise from the permit process.

For demolition permits, a copy of the title search made within 30 days is required to verify the ownership.

All signatures must be original; no photocopies or scans will be accepted.

Owner's Authorization Form

Owner's Authorization Form for permit applications only. Do not use for accessing City records.

Accessing City Permit Records

The City of Victoria provides access to permit records, plans and other property related information for a fee.

Accessing City Permit Records [PDF - 429 KB]

Accessing City Building and Plumbing Plans

The City of Victoria provides access to building and plumbing plans while ensuring that the privacy of property owners is protected.

Generally, we require one business day to compete the search. However, some information is stored off-site which may require additional time to retrieve.

There is a $25.00 plus tax search fee to retrieve plans. There is no guarantee that the City will have plans on file for all properties. There will be additional costs if you require copies of plans which are sent off-site for copying.

If you are accessing information on behalf of a property owner (e.g. realtor or owner’s representative), please have the owner complete the Permission to Access City Plans [PDF - 26 KB] form.

The search will be carried out the next business day after receiving both the fee and the permission form in our office. The person who requested the plans will be contacted when the plans are ready to view. Plans will be available to view for one week.

Requests can be made by emailing and giving a credit card number over the phone for payment or the form can be handed in and payment made in person at the permits and inspections counter at City Hall.

Notice to Applicants for Permits

To help us provide better service, please ensure your application package is complete for your submission.

The inspectors are generally in the office from 8 a.m. to 10 a.m. for phone calls and counter services, and there is one plumbing and electrical inspector on a rotational basis available from 1 p.m. to 2 p.m. every day for counter services. Outside of these hours, you are best to email your requests or questions with the details and your phone number. You may also choose to leave a message on their voice mail; however, Inspectors may not check this until the next business day when they are back in the office.

If you have an inquiry for permits that are not assigned specifically, or you just want to check the status of your permit, you may phone 250.361.0344 ext. 0 or email Permits.

Who and when do I call for an inspection?

We recommend you plan ahead and give at least one business day as notice for an inspection. Please do not call for an inspection until the work is ready to be inspected.

  • To arrange for a building inspection contact a Permits and Inspections Clerk at 250.361.0344 ext. 0. Refer to the Inspection Record in your Building Permit Package for applicable inspections.
  • To arrange for a plumbing inspection contact a Permits and Inspections Clerk at 250.361.0345 ext. 0.
  • To arrange for an electrical inspection authorizations can be hand delivered, faxed or emailed.

Office Hours

Weekdays 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
Office hours for Inspectors are between 8 a.m. and 10 a.m. Monday to Friday.

Please be advised the Permits and Inspections Division has a monthly staff meeting the last Tuesday of every month from 10 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Permits and Inspections staff will not be available for counter or phone enquiries during this time.