Prior to starting any stage of your project, including excavation or demolition, you must obtain a Building Permit.
Permit Intake and Application Requirements for all Building Permits
For a smoother permit application process, please check that you have all the information using our checklists before applying for your permit. It is optimal that you apply in person; permit packages that are sent in by courier may be refused if they are not complete or incorrect.
Should you need further information, please contact Olivia Spencer for residential and commercial building permit applications.
For new complex buildings, the City is piloting is a pre-application permit intake meeting with staff. Please contact the Permits and Inspections staff for more information or to book an appointment.
Checklists & Example Plans
- Tenant Improvement Checklist for Commercial Buildings [PDF - 156 KB]
- Complex Building Checklist for New or Exterior Buildings [PDF - 163 KB]
- Secondary Suite Checklist [PDF - 156 KB]
- Garage and Accessory Building Checklist [PDF - 155 KB]
- Interior Condo Unit Renovation Checklist [PDF - 150 KB]
- Residential Checklist for New and Existing Buildings [PDF - 155 KB]
- Deck Example Plans 2013 [PDF - 416 KB]
- Commercial Demolition Permit Application Package [PDF - 1.6 MB]
- Residential Demolition Permit Application Package [PDF - 1.5 MB]
- Commercial/Complex Building Permit Application Package [PDF - 413 KB]
- Residential Building Permit Application Package [PDF - 360 KB]
- Solid Fuel-Fired Appliance Checklist [PDF - 168 KB]
- Occupant Load Application [PDF - 91 KB]