Prior to starting any stage of your project, including excavation or demolition, you must obtain a Building Permit.
Permit Intake and Application Requirements for all Building Permits
For a smoother permit application process, please check that you have all the information required using our checklists before applying for your permit. It is optimal that you apply in person; permit packages that are sent in by courier may be refused if they are not complete.
Should you need further information, please contact Permits and Inspections staff for building permit application information.
For new buildings and additions, the City facilitates a pre-application meeting with staff at your request. This meeting can be used by developers as a tool in the planning process and helps to expedite the building permit application process. Please contact the Permits and Inspections staff for more information or to book an appointment.
Checklists & Example Plans
- Tenant Improvement Checklist for Commercial Buildings [PDF - 156 KB]
- Complex Building Checklist for New or Existing Buildings [PDF - 163 KB]
- Secondary Suite Checklist [PDF - 156 KB]
- Garage and Accessory Building Checklist [PDF - 155 KB]
- Interior Condo Unit Renovation Checklist [PDF - 150 KB]
- Residential Checklist for New and Existing Buildings [PDF - 155 KB]
- Deck Example Plans 2013 [PDF - 416 KB]
- TECA Checklist for Forced Air Systems [PDF - 338 KB]
- TECA Checklist for an HRV [PDF - 336 KB]
- TECA Checklist for CRV Systems [PDF - 337 KB]
- TECA Checklist for Exhaust Fans & Passive Inlets [PDF - 336 KB]
Forms and Application Packages
- Commercial Demolition Permit Application Package [PDF - 1.6 MB]
- Residential Demolition Permit Application Package [PDF - 1.5 MB]
- Strip Out Permit Application Package [PDF - 283 KB]
- Commercial/Complex Building Permit Application Package [PDF - 413 KB]
- Residential Building Permit Application Package [PDF - 360 KB]
- Owner's Authorization Form [PDF - 255 KB]
- Solid Fuel-Fired Appliance Checklist [PDF - 168 KB]