Housing affordability and homelessness are two top strategic priorities for the City of Victoria.
Secondary suites offer homeowners a variety of benefits and increase the amount of safe, affordable housing in Victoria. A secondary suite is a legal suite, located within a single family detached house and cannot be strata-titled.
In order to encourage a more diverse mix of housing options, the City of Victoria has made installing a secondary suite easier for homeowners. One of these changes is a short-term grant program that will offer homeowners a grant equal to 25% of construction costs of new secondary suites, up to a maximum grant of $5000. Please note: As of March 2013, the program is fully subscribed. Applications are being accepted for a wait list, in the event of a cancellation.
Read more information on the City of Victoria's Secondary Suites Program.
The City of Victoria is an active partner and a strong advocate for affordable housing throughout the city. We recognize the role that housing plays in creating a strong, vibrant and diverse community.
Since 2004 the City of Victoria has been proactively addressing the affordable housing issue and has been working with many different housing agencies (both private and public) to create opportunities to address housing needs across the housing continuum.
Read more about affordable housing initiatives from 2008-2010 [PDF - 306 KB].
The purpose of assisted housing is to provide accommodation for eligible senior citizens, families and individuals. To qualify for assisted housing, applicants are assessed on the basis of need. In Victoria, assisted housing includes a variety of:
- Self-contained rental units in apartments and townhouses for families, seniors and individuals
- Co-op housing
- Complex care facilities
- Transition housing
- Youth housing
- Supportive housing
- Group homes
Assisted housing is managed by housing providers. The City of Victoria supports the work of these key housing providers:
- Capital Region Housing Corporation
- Cridge Centre for the Family
- Greater Victoria Housing Society
- Gorge View Society
- M'Akola Housing Society
- Pacifica Housing Advisory Association
- Salvation Army Addictions and Rehabilitation Centre
- Shekinah Homes Society
- St. Vincent de Paul Housing Society
- Threshold Housing Society
- Victoria Cool Aid Society
- Victoria Senior Citizens Housing Society
Most assisted housing can be applied for through BC Housing
Links to Other Resources
- BC Housing Registry
- Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC) RAPP Program
- Canadian Cooperative Association
- Co-operative Housing Federation of Canada
- First Time Home Buyer's Guide
- Housing Affordability Partnership
- Housing realities and requirements for women living with disabilities
- Victoria Real Estate Board