My Great Neighbourhood Grant Program
The My Great Neighbourhood Grant program was created to help residents of Victoria animate public space, develop and enhance a sense of community and leave a positive legacy in our neighbourhoods. You are invited!
My Great Neighbourhoods Grants
The 2018 Spring Intake period is now open. Please submit your application before April 15, 2018.
Read through the information below and make sure to book your pre-application meeting with your neighbourhood advisor before March 30, 2018
- When: Wednesday, March 14, 1-5 p.m.
- Where: The Da Vinci Event Centre, 195 Bay Street
- What: Enjoy a keynote presentation from Paul Born co-CEO of the Tamarack Institute focusing on creating vibrant communities. Take part in block party fun!
- Why: Deepen your community connections and learn more about My Great Neighbourhood Grants, including a showcase of projects recently funded and information on how to apply for a grant for your neighbourhood.
Please RSVP at the City of Victoria’s Facebook event page.
What qualifies as a good project for this grant program?
- Are initiated and implemented by local residents.
- Help animate community spaces.
- Create gathering spots or provide activities that bring people together.
- Contribute to neighbourhood pride and enhance quality of life.
- Promote community development and community programming
- Could serve as a neighbourhood improvement campaign
- Can be a pilot project
- Must be completed within one year upon receiving funding.
The City will fund up to $5,000 to match the equivalent contribution the neighbourhood makes, which can be a combination of volunteer labour, donated services, donated materials and other funds raised. Eligible applications include not-for-profit organizations, schools and community centres. Ad hoc groups of residents are also eligible for the grant but need a sponsor non-profit organization.
The City will provide up to $5,000 for placemaking projects and up to $1,000 for activities. The projects funded by these grants are initiated and implemented by local residents.
How Do I Apply?
If you are interested in applying for a My Great Neighbourhood Grant, consider the grant policy [PDF - 54 KB] to get a good understanding of the program. Here is a tip sheet which you may find helpful. If you are interested in a community art project, please look at the guidelines that apply to those types of projects.
You can then review the checklist [PDF - 53 KB]as you develop your project idea to make sure that you are considering everything.
Once you have developed a concept for a project, you should schedule a meeting to discuss the idea with the Neighbourhood Advisor for the location. You must meet with staff before you submit your application.
Fernwood, North Park, Downtown-Harris Green:
Michael Hill: (250) 361.0397, email Mike
Oaklands, Burnside-Gorge, Quadra-Hillside, Rockland:
Gary Pemberton: (250) 361.0548, email Gary
Victoria West, James Bay, Fairfield-Gonzales, South Jubilee, North Jubilee:
Kimberley Stratford: (250) 361.0320, email Kimberley
Once you have met with staff and confirmed that your idea is ready to submit, please complete the application form:
2018 My Great Neighbourhood Grant Application [DOCX - 92 KB]
Placemaking projects may include:
- Community garden enhancement
- Boulevard enhancement
- Neighbourhood gathering place (e.g. seating areas)
- Community pathway
- Decorative lighting display
- Community art display
- Neighbourhood branding initiative
- Interpretive signage
- Community lending projects (e.g. seed libraries and tools)
- Playground enhancement
- Playable spaces
Click here to read about last year’s successful applications: 2016 Grant Recipients
Looking for ideas? Read about some great ideas on the following links:
101 small ways you can improve your city
Shareable: Great Placemaking Ideas
Lighter Quicker Cheaper
Placemaking in a Canadian Context
Creative City Network of Canada Toolkits
11 Principles of Placemaking
Creative Placemaking around the World
The Better Block Foundation
Community Arts Project Guidelines:
Art Project Guidelines.pdf [PDF - 207 KB]
Sample Activity Budget:
Sample Activity Budget.pdf [PDF - 20 KB]
Sample Placemaking Project Budget:
Sample Placemaking Project Budget [DOCX - 69 KB]
Final Report Template
2018 My Great Neighbourhoods Final Report Template [PDF - 89 KB]
Go to Top