Left: 239 (later 1117) Fort Street, residence of Henry Brown and family. This photograph was taken in 1891 and shows Henry’s daughter Frances and her grandmother standing in front of the house. Date of demolition unknown. This lot is now occupied by the Fort Building on the S.E. corner of Cook and Fort Streets (CVA image M09848). Right: In 1889, the Brown property was assessed at $1800 as shown in this detail from the tax assessment roll for that year. At this time, the City was responsible for assessing the value of land and improvments for tax purposes. The City held this function until 1973, when the BC Assessment Authority was established.