Left: "The Poplars" at 603 Belleville Street, ca. 1915. Architect John Teague designed this residence for David Spencer and his family in the 1870s. Spencer got into the dry goods business in 1873 and went on to build a successful chain of department stores based on the Island and the lower mainland. Spencer’s Victoria location was in operation until 1948 when it was sold to T. Eaton Company (CVA image M09851). Right: A wider view showing the house at the end of the James Bay Bridge, just down from the old legislative buildings on Belleville at the far right, ca. 1900. The house was domolished in 1951. The BC Archives now stands at this location (CVA image M00434).