Background & Documents
What is a Neighbourhood Plan?
Great neighbourhoods are the result of committed citizens, careful planning, financial investment and thoughtful design. A neighbourhood plan is one part of creating sustainable, vibrant communities.
This is your neighbourhood! Help us understand the shared values of the community and create a neighbourhood plan that builds the pride and identity for the neighbourhood.
How will it be used?
The neighbourhoods of Fairfield and Gonzales are evolving and changing. New people are moving in, new businesses are opening up.
- Where will new housing and businesses go?
- What will they look like?
- How will people move around?
- What else does this neighbourhood need?
It will be used by developers planning new projects and by the City to evaluate proposals and prioritize small and large scale projects.
What is a local area plan?
A local area plan provides guidance to the community and Council on the suitability of residential and commercial development, and future capital projects such as improvements to cycling and pedestrian connections and park space. Guided by the Official Community Plan, it provides direction for how land will be used in the area.
Did you know?
- Burnside Gorge is home to 6,000 residents and 1,400 businesses.
- The City’s Official Community Plan envisions new residential and commercial development along the Douglas Street corridor focused at Humber Green and Mayfair areas.
- The City’s Official Community Plan also identifies continued support for industrial, manufacturing, and employment areas including Rock Bay, and improved connections for people who walk, cycle, and take public transit throughout the Burnside area.
- Victoria is expected to grow by 20,000 residents over the next 30 years. The City’s Official Community Plan identifies that 10,000 new residents will be accommodated in the downtown core with the remaining growth focused in Victoria’s village centres across the city.
- Summary of Phase One Engagement: Burnside Gorge and Douglas Area Plan [PDF - 1.8 MB]
- Map 1: Transportation Corridors (Summary of Engagement) [PDF - 346 KB]
- Map 2: Pedestrian and Bicycle Connections (Summary of Engagement) [PDF - 337 KB]
- Map 3: Land Use and Urban Villages (Summary of Engagement) [PDF - 338 KB]
- Business Vitality [PDF - 382 KB]
Reports and Studies
- DRAFT Burnside Neighbourhood Truck Study Summary Report [PDF - 2.7 MB]
- Transportation Study November 2016 [PDF - 13.5 MB]
- Burnside Local Area Profile [PDF - 3.2 MB]
- Burnside Employment Lands Profile [PDF - 6.1 MB]
- Heritage Study [PDF - 2.6 MB]
Council Reports and Presentations
- Council Report: Burnside Gorge and Douglas Area Plan Terms of Reference [PDF - 7.1 MB] (January 29, 2015)
- Staff presentation to Council: Burnside Gorge and Douglas Area Plan Terms of Reference [PDF - 3.8 MB] (January 29, 2015)
- Engagement Advisory Committee Terms of Reference [PDF - 107 KB]
Go to Top