The Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre Replacement Project is entering the next phase of design refinement. The feedback that we hear from the community, along with best practices and trends in aquatic and recreation centre design, will advance the building and site design toward construction ready documents.
Tuesday, June 19: 3-5 p.m. and 6-8 p.m.
Please mark Tuesday, June 19, 2018 on your calendars to join us at Crystal Garden for an Open House event. Over the past several months the project team has been refining the plans for the building, based on technical analysis and input received from residents. We look forward to hearing your feedback on the updated designs as we strive to produce a barrier-free, inclusive, high-quality recreation centre for the citizens of Victoria.
RSVP here to indicate which of the engagement sessions you plan to attend.
See you on June 19!
NEW Partnership with the Rick Hansen Foundation
Since the initiation of the project in 2017, the team has sought industry leaders with expertise relevant to the key project outcomes. A new partnership with the Rick Hansen Foundation (RHF) provides another example of this effort to ensure quality.
The Rick Hansen Foundation has been engaged on the project to help ensure the objectives relating to inclusivity are achieved. The Foundation is offering a new Accessibility Certification Program, the first of its kind, specific to accessibility in the built environment. The guidance and support from experts at the Rick Hansen Foundation, Recreation Integration Victoria and other community stakeholders, is important to meeting the goal for a truly barrier-free recreation centre.
A dedicated RHF Accessibility Specialist will provide full spectrum accessibility consulting services for the Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre Project consisting of; an accessibility assessment; provision of a Design Criteria Manual; input on design,construction, and operations; as well as RHF Accessibility Certification Rating for the new facility.This resource provides additional capacity and expertise, building on the participation of other community stakeholders who are contributing their experience in this area.
Thank you for the huge response to the recent online survey that launched on Tuesday February 27, 2018. On that date, the City hosted two Public Engagement Sessions at Crystal Garden, which were led by representatives from HCMA Architecture+Design. During these sessions, attendees were:
- Provided a project update including a presentation of conceptual design ideas and considerations for programming, based on the project's key outcomes.
- Asked to provide input on preferred activities and programming priorities that will inform the future building’s design.
The information contained in the following links was presented to participants, and responses gathered to the questions on each display board.
Aquatic Leisure Pool
Changeroom and Washrooms
Entry, Lobby and Reception
Thank you and Feedback
Did You Know?
- Council voted unanimously to replace the nearly 50 year old complex with a new facility, approving a budget of $69.4 million.
- Today, one in five residents cannot access the Crystal Pool and Fitness Centre. The new facility will welcome all ages and abilities through a design that removes barriers to participation.
- The new universally-accessible recreation centre will feature a 50m pool, universal and inclusive change rooms, an expanded fitness area, better spaces for events and programs, a welcoming community space and tonnes of natural light!
- A universally-accessible pool and wellness centre is anticipated to increase visits by 35 per cent annually.
- The proposed site for the new building is next to the current building in Central Park, which will stay open until the new pool is ready.
- We are actively seeking support from other levels of government to help fund the new centre. If funding is not secured from external sources, a referendum will be held next year.
- Key outcomes
- Features of the new facility
- Conceptual Designs
- Committee of the Whole Reports
- Crystal Pool and Fitness Centre Feasibility Study
*Click on image to zoom in
Frequently Asked Questions
Our goal is to keep you well informed throughout the project. This list will be continually updated over the coming many months to provide timely and accurate information. Click on the phrases below to link you to questions and responses, and check back in for updated information.
For a list of previously asked question and responses please click here
Stay Informed: If you would like to receive direct email updates on the Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre Replacement Projects or to provide feedback email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org