Planning is underway to replace the ageing Crystal Pool and Fitness Centre to make it a better place for everyone to have fun and to stay healthy and active for generations to come.
*Click on image to zoom in
To view supporting project documents click here. We will be updating this page through the span of the project.
Did You Know?
- Council voted unanimously to replace the nearly 50 year old complex with a new facility, to cost no more than $69.4 million.
- Today, one in five residents cannot access the Crystal Pool and Fitness Centre. The new facility will welcome all ages and abilities through a design that removes barriers to participation.
- The new universally-accessible recreation centre will feature a 50m x 25m pool, universal and inclusive change rooms, an expanded fitness area, better spaces for events and programs, a welcoming community space and tonnes of natural light!
- A universally-accessible pool and wellness centre is anticipated to increase visits by 35 per cent to more than 500,000 visits annually
- The proposed site for the new building is next to the current building in Central Park, which will stay open until the new pool is ready.
- A park improvement plan will be initiated during the development of the new facility, which will review all elements of the park, including the tennis and basketball courts.
- We're actively seeking support from other levels of government to help fund the new centre. If funding is not secured from external sources, a referendum will be held next year.
- Construction is anticipated to begin in late 2018, with the first swim anticipated for 2021!
- Victoria’s first public swimming pool opened in 1925 in the Crystal Garden. It was the world’s largest seawater swimming pool. Just like the current day facility, it too was a community hub used for many purposes like art exhibitions by Emily Carr herself. It also featured two dance ballrooms which buzzed with activity every Saturday night.
Frequently Asked Questions
Staff have recently developed the following list of Frequently Asked Questions for community information. This list will be continually updated over the coming many months to provide timely and accurate information. Click on the phrases below to link you to questions and responses, and check back in for updated information every few weeks.
For a list of previously asked question and responses please click here
Stay Informed: If you would like to receive direct email updates on the Crystal Pool and Wellness Centre Replacement Projects or to provide feedback email us at: email@example.com