No language in the contract with Passport Parking Inc. (Passport) or Passport’s Terms and Conditions pertaining to personal information is applicable if the language contravenes FIPPA’s privacy provisions.
This policy may change from time to time, so please check the policy periodically for updates.
The Mobile Pay Parking System
The City of Victoria has contracted with Passport Parking Inc. (Passport) to provide people with the ability to manage their parking needs from their mobile devices. For further information about Passport please follow this link http://passportparking.com/.
To comply with FIPPA, Passport has located its pay parking application with the Cloud service provider, IWeb, which is located in Quebec. IWeb provides the appropriate security and protection measures that meet FIPPA’s requirements. All pay parking transactions are done through dedicated Passport servers on IWEB. None of the personal information collected is stored on City of Victoria servers. Only three Passport staff can access the servers and they can only access the servers from Passport’s headquarters in Charlotte, North Carolina. Their access is limited to maintenance of the servers, which complies with FIPPA’s disclosure provisions.
Personal Information Collection:
Your personal information is collected securely over the Internet when you sign up for an account using your mobile device.
The mobile pay parking application collects the following personal information:
- Registration personal information: 10 digit mobile phone information (identifies you as authorized user of account), first and last name and email address.
- Parking payment personal information: Vehicle licence plate number, PIN (your password) and email address.
- Parking personal Information: Your parking history is recorded and linked to your account should you wish to review it. The parking location, the date you parked and how long you parked is recorded.
- Credit card: Your name, type of credit card (Visa, M/C, AMEX, Discover card) card number, expiry date, and postal code.
- Location Information: Our application collects in real-time your device’s location for the purpose of linking the particulars of your parking payment (e.g. amount, parking location, parking time) to the City of Victoria’s pay parking system.
- Device Information: If you download our application, we collect your mobile device ID to notify you on how much time paid you have left on your parking stall.
- Local Log File: Our application logs your activity within the app and stores this data on your device. We only have the ability to access this file if you send it to us during the process of reporting a bug.
Together this personal information allows the pay parking service to create an account unique to you. It processes your parking payments and advises the City’s parking Services that payment was received in the same manner as other methods available to pay for parking. Information regarding your method of payment is not retained on your mobile device for security reasons. The same industry security standards used to make debit or credit card purchases are also employed to make mobile pay parking purchases.
Automatic Information Collection:
When you download, access and use our application or website, information that does not identify you may be collected by Passport to customize and improve users experience, improve the pay parking application and services (e.g. usage trends) or for other planning and evaluation purposes. The information automatically collected is not linked to your personal information.
- Website Details: Google Analytics may also collect information about the parts of our application or website you use or third party websites you visit when you leave our website.
- App Usage Details: When you access and use the application, we may automatically collect certain details of your access to and use of the app, including location data and other communication data and the resources that you access and use on or through the app.
- Other information: We may collect information about your IP address, operating system, browser type, mobile network information.
Information collected automatically will be done using Cookies or mobile cookies. A cookie is a small file placed on your smartphone. It may be possible to refuse to accept mobile cookies by activating the appropriate setting on your smartphone. However, if you select this setting you may be unable to access certain parts of our application. You can choose whether to share personal information. If you choose not to share, some parts of our sites and some services may be more difficult or impossible to use. Your browser may give you the ability to reject cookies or turn off location-based capabilities. If you choose not to disable these features, some parts of our sites and some services may be more difficult or impossible to use.
How We Use Your Information:
We use your personal information for only these purposes:
- To manage the mobile pay parking system.
- To respond to your requests or questions regarding the service (e.g. to help you reset your password).
- To communicate with you (e.g. send notifications about your account, transactions, or changes to our sites, applications, or policies).
- As otherwise required by law.
Disclosure of Your Information:
The mobile pay parking service is just an additional method for collecting payment from people using the City’s pay parking locations. There only additional disclosure of your personal information is to Passport staff for the purposes of managing the service. Your personal information is not disclosed to Commissionaires who enforce the City’s parking bylaws. Nor is your personal information disclosed to the City’s other pay parking service provider that manages the City’s on-street parking.
Your personal information is only disclosed for the following reasons:
- So City Parking Services staff can fulfill their responsibilities to manage the City’s parking operations.
- For legal purposes. To comply with any court order, law or legal process, including responding to any government or regulatory request.
- With your prior, informed, consent.
We have implemented measures designed to secure your personal information from accidental loss and from unauthorized access, use, alteration and disclosure. However, the internet is a public place. We cannot promise that your information will remain secure. We encourage you to use caution when sharing information. The safety and security of your information also depends on you. Your PIN protects your mobile pay parking account information from unauthorized access and you are responsible for keeping this information confidential. We ask you not to share this information with anyone.
Specific security features include:
- Your account locks after three failed attempts to access it.
- Only your Parker ID is retained on your mobile device. All other information stays on iWebs servers that are dedicated for Passport’s use only.
- All communications are encrypted.
- Payment transactions are protected to Payment Card Industry Data Security Standards (PCI DSS).
Accessing and Correcting Your Personal Information:
You can review and change your personal information by logging in and visiting your account profile page. Alternatively, if you have questions regarding the accuracy of your personal you may contact the City of Victoria’s Information Access and Privacy Analyst at firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may de-register your account at any time and your personal information is deleted. If your credit card expires, your account will automatically expire four months later. No information will be retained that can identify you.
Go to Top