Chandler Gonzales Pathway
The Chandler Gonzales Pathway corridor is located in the Gonzales neighbourhood, connecting Chandler Street and Gonzales Avenue.
- 2003 - The City of Victoria Greenways Plan included a recommendation to re-open the Chandler Gonzales Pathway as a component of the greenways program.
- 2007 - School District #61 identified the Pathway as a safe route for school children to access Margaret Jenkins School.
- 2008 - A group of residents approached City Council, advocating the re-opening of the Pathway.
- 2009 - City Council confirmed their support for re-opening the Pathway but the project did not proceed at that time as it was
not a Capital program priority.
- 2011 - Council requested staff to prepare cost estimates to re-open the Pathway, for consideration in 2012 budget discussions.
- 2012 - Council requested staff to work towards the re-opening of the Chandler-Gonzales Pathway. Work began in June 2012 and was significantly completed by early November.
Tasks to re-opening the pathway included vegetation removal, ground preparation and finishing with crushed aggregate surfacing, as well as new fencing and hedging for neighbours adjacent to the trail. Two, new mid-block crossings at Chandler Avenue and Gonzales Avenue were also installed for public safety.
Go to Top