Prior to starting any stage of your project, you must obtain an electrical permit.
In many cases, a building permit would be required prior to obtaining your electrical permit.
In order to apply for an electrical permit, you must be a registered electrical contractor, or a homeowner meeting the requirements of the Safety Standards Act and the Electrical Safety Regulation (2004).
When do I Need an Electrical Permit?
An Electrical Permit is required for the installation, alteration, repair or maintenance of electrical equipment.
Permits are required prior to commencing work on:
- wiring new receptacles, switches or lighting fixtures
- removing part of an electrical system
- temporary entertainment or construction service
- any work that requires a utility (BC Hydro) to connect or reconnect a service
- and any electrical work on life safety systems
An electrical permit would not be required (when completed by a qualified person) for minor modifications such as:
- replacing existing receptacles in the same location
- installing dimmer switches or fan speed controllers
- installing snap switches cord attachment plugs
- and fuses up to a maximum 750 volts with equipment of a similar type of rating
- BC Electrical Code 2015
- Electrical Permit Application Requirements
- Safety Authority : Tech Talk Videos: 2012 Changes to the Canadian Electrical Code - Part 1
- Safety Authority : Electrical Safety Homeowner Information Guide
- Fire Alarm Permitting and Application Procedure.pdf [PDF - 72 KB]
Forms & Applications
- Application For Electrical Permit [PDF - 65 KB]
- Electrical Contractors Authorization [PDF - 38 KB]
- Homeowner Electrical Permit Application Form [PDF - 24 KB]
- Homeowner Inspection Request [PDF - 101 KB]
Electrical Inspections Policies
- Bonding of Raceway Sleeves in Steel Stud Walls [PDF - 15 KB]
- Contractor Responsibility Following a Fire [PDF - 75 KB]
- Masts and Support Structures for Services Over 200 Amps [PDF - 101 KB]
- Multiple Occupancy Metering Requirements [PDF - 103 KB]
- Service and Panels in Secondary Suites [PDF - 15 KB]
- Use of Portable Heating Appliances [PDF - 14 KB]
- IC Pot Lights and Spray Foam Insulation [PDF - 14 KB]
- Retrofit of Fluorescent Luminaries [PDF - 14 KB]
- Shunt Trip Requirements for Services Fed From the BC Hydro Downtown Network [PDF - 111 KB]
- Requirements for Verification of Fire Alarm Systems 2.25.2014 [PDF - 66 KB]