Sign Up for Vic-Alert
Vic-Alert is the City of Victoria's new emergency notification service. Vic-Alert informs you by text, phone and email of major emergencies or disasters that may impact you in Victoria.
Types of Emergencies
Vic-Alert provides you with important emergency information, such as imminent threats (e.g. severe weather, power outages, tsunami), AMBER alerts, and local incidents that affect specific areas of Victoria. The service enables emergency notices to be disseminated City-wide or to targeted areas, which can be helpful for neighbourhood-specific emergencies such as a gas leak/evacuation.
How it Works
When you sign up for Vic-Alert, you receive emergency updates and helpful instructions where you are, when you need them. You have the option to receive notifications by text, phone and email.
Because emergencies can happen at any time, it’s a good idea to include the phone notification -- and list your landline and cell phone numbers. A phone call in the middle of the night may wake you, while a text may not.
It's Easy... and Free!
How to Save Vic-Alert # to Your Cell Phone's Contacts/Favourites and
Bypass Do Not Disturb Function
Vic-Alert now has one phone number to communicate emergency notifications: 778-400-4845.
Save the Vic-Alert # in your cell phone's Favourites and bypass the Do Not Disturb function so that you can receive emergency voice call alerts when you're asleep in the middle of the night.
- Open the Phone app
- Tap on "Contacts" tab
- Tap the "+" sign to add a new contact
- Add Vic-Alert as a new contact using 778-400-4845
- Tap "Favorites" tab and tap "+" sign
- Open your Vic-Alert contact and tap "Add to Favorites" then tap "Call mobile"
- Vic-Alert will now be saved to your Favorites
- Now open Settings app
- Tap "Do Not Disturb"
- Tap "Select Calls From"
- Select "Favorites"
- Go to Contacts and using "+" sign add Vic-Alert as a contact using 778-400-4845
- Mark as a Favourite by selecting the "star" icon
- Now go to Settings
- Tap "Sound and Notification"
- Tap "Do Not Disturb"
- Tap "Automatic Rules" (On a Galaxy phone, it's Settings>Sounds and Vibration>Do Not Disturb>Enable as Scheduled)
- Tap "Add rule" and decide if you want it to be triggered by a specific time or by an event
- Pick a name for the rule and specify the triggers
Please note that set-up instructions may differ depending on your mobile phone.
Privacy Note: Due to BC privacy laws, notifications can only be sent to a private phone or email when a citizen grants permission, which is why Vic-Alert is a subscriber-based service. All personal contact information provided will remain confidential and will not be used for any other purpose.
Everyday readiness for every person, every business, every organization.
Go to Top