2017/2018 Firefighter Recruitment Competition
The 2017/2018 Firefighter Recruitment Competition is now closed. The deadline to apply was Friday, December 1, 2017 at 4:30 p.m. Thank you to everyone who applied.
The Victoria Fire Department is looking for individuals who are community-minded, skilled professionals, trained to use the latest fire suppression technologies and rescue techniques. We strongly encourage candidates to bring their unique strengths and skill sets to the application process. Our diversity strengthens us and improves our ability to serve our community.
We seek candidates who are self-motivated, hardworking team players, committed to continuous improvement and learning, and strive for excellence in customer service. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
Victoria Fire Department firefighters are members of the International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) Local 730.
How to Apply
Before applying online, potential applicants were encouraged to read the 2017/2018 Victoria Fire Department Firefighter Application Guide. [PDF - 4.2 MB]
Applicants were asked to have the required qualifications and certifications for the position as outlined in the Firefighter Application Guide. This included the successful completion of the University of Victoria's physical fitness test dated May 1, 2017 onward.
Applicants could view the job posting at victoria.ca/jobs. Applicants were asked to upload ONE PDF containing the following documents:
- Cover Letter
- Copies of the following qualifications:
- UVic Physical Fitness Certificate dated May 1, 2017 or more recent
- NFPA 1001 Firefighter 1 and 2
- WorkSafeBC Occupational First Aid Level 2 or BC First Responder Level 3, or equivalent
- Canadian Citizenship or Landed Immigrant Status
- Proof of Grade 12 or equivalent
- Valid British Columbia Class 3 Drivers Licence with Air Brake Endorsement or equivalent
- Driver’s Abstract reflective of no more than six points within the last three years
- Canadian Coast Guard Pleasure Craft Operator Card
- Eye Assessment Form – Appendix A (in Application Guide)
- Hearing Assessment Form – Appendix B (in Application Guide)
The competition timeline outlined in the Firefighter Application Guide is subject to change. Please check back here and follow @CityofVictoria on Twitter and City of Victoria Local Government on Facebook for updates.Go to Top