In 2011, the BC Fire Commissioners Office reported that residential fires accounted for nearly 83% of fire-related injuries in British Columbia.
That year, there were 2,090 residential fires reported in the province, resulting in 21 fatalities. Cooking was found to be the leading cause of home fires and fire related injuries.
That year, incidents where a smoke alarm did not activate, or was not installed, there were 1,110 fires resulting in over $150,000,000 in total dollar losses, 61 injuries, and 11 fatalities.
Did you know that the chances of dying in a home fire may be reduced by 74% if a working smoke alarm is present in the home?
Help protect you and your family by reviewing our Home Fire Safety Checklist [PDF - 365 KB] and other valuable safety information in the links below:
- Home Fire Safety Checklist [PDF - 365 KB]
- Tips to Prevent Grass and Bark Mulch Fires
- Home Smoke Alarms
- Home Fire Escape Plan
- Fire Extinguishers
- Safety in the Kitchen
- Fire Safety in Buildings
- Fire Safety for Children
- Fire Safety for Pets
- Gas Safety in the Home
Have a Safe and Happy Halloween!
With Halloween just around the corner, it's important to keep safety top of mind when out having fun.
The public is reminded that the sale, possession or discharge of fireworks is prohibited in the City of Victoria. The use of fireworks can result in property damage, injuries, pet stress, and an increase in calls to emergency service agencies.
“Fireworks” include firecrackers, fireballs, Roman Candles, sky rockets, squibs, torpedoes, and any other explosive designated as a firework by regulation. Victoria Police enforce the bylaw and can issue fines or seize fireworks. The minimum fine is $200 and the maximum is $10,000.
Permission to discharge fireworks may be granted under certain conditions with a valid fireworks permit. For more information, view the City’s Fireworks Bylaw [PDF - 167 KB].
Safety Tips for Trick-or-Treaters
Halloween is a fun and spooky time of year. Below are some tips to keep children safe during trick-or-treating and to prevent fires in the home.
- To prevent tripping, do not choose costumes that are billowing, long or have trailing fabric.
- If you are making a costume, choose material that won't easily ignite if it comes into contact with heat or flame. If your child is wearing a mask, make sure the eye holes are large enough to see out.
- Provide children with flashlights or glow-in-the-dark props to carry for lighting as part of their costume.
- Dried flowers, cornstalks and crepe paper are highly flammable. Keep these and other decorations well away from all open flames and heat sources, including light bulbs and heaters.
- It is safest to use a flashlight or battery-operated candles in a Jack-o-lantern. If using a real candle, use extreme caution and make sure children are watched at all times when candles are lit.
- Tell children to stay away from open flames. Be sure they know how to stop, drop and roll if their clothing catches fire.
- Remember to keep exits clear of decorations so nothing blocks escape routes. Keep outdoor pathways clear of tripping hazards for trick-or-treaters.
Fire Prevention Programs
The Victoria Fire Department offers fire prevention programs to help keep you, your family, your property and your neighbourhood safe.
Go to Top