Safety in the Kitchen

The majority of home fires occur in the kitchen. Most of these fire can be prevented just by following a few simple guidelines:

  •  Never leave your cooking unattended whether it’s on your stove, in your oven, or in an appliance. When you leave your house, always turn all your appliances off and unplug electrical appliances when they are not in use. 
  • Keep the cooking areas clean and free of built up grease.  Grease is flammable and when it build sup it can catch fire very easily. 
  • Don’t wear loose clothing while cooking.  If your clothing does catch fire, remember to STOP where you are, DROP to the ground, cover your face with your hands and ROLL over and over to smother the fire. 
  • Keep flammable objects away from the stove.  Don’t store items on the back of your range, and dish towels should not be hung on the oven door handle. 
  • Make sure you don’t overload electrical circuits by plugging in too many small appliances.  Any appliances that produce heat (e.g. such as toasters or toaster ovens) should be kept away from walls or curtains. 
  • Never use an appliance that has damaged electrical components. 
  • If a fire starts inside your microwave, close the door and unplug the unit.  Do not use the microwave again until it has been serviced. 
  • Whenever cooking on your stovetop, try to use the rear burners first, and make sure your pot handles are turned it.  This will help prevent hot pots being knocked off a stove or grabbed by a child.

Grease Fires

If you are using oil to cook, make sure you heat it slowly over a moderate temperature and never leave it unattended. 

If a grease fire does start, do NOT pour water on it.  Smother the pan or pot with a lid and turn off the heat.  If the fire has started in your oven, close the door.  If the flames do not go out immediately, call the fire department.