Victoria's Quality of Life Ranks High - 2013 Citizen and Business Survey Results
July 18, 2013
An Ipsos Reid poll conducted in 2013 reveals that the majority of citizens and businesses feel the City of Victoria is performing well.
- 97% of Victorians indicate the quality of life in Victoria is good or very good. The majority of residents feel their quality of life has remained the same or improved since 2010.
- 90% of residents are satisfied with overall level and quality of City services.
- Perceptions of business climate in Victoria are predominantly positive and businesses are more than twice as likely to expand their business in the next five years than downsize or close.
- Perceptions of downtown Victoria are positive, with improving perceptions of downtown safety at night.
- Top of mind issues for both citizens and businesses were social issues, transportation and municipal services, however, homelessness concerns have declined since 2010.
- Parking is high on the issue agenda for businesses.
- Improved satisfaction levels with City-sponsored arts, cultural and festivals.
- Citizens and businesses prefer online methods for communicating with the City and feel there is more that could be communicated by the City.
- New City website appeared in top 10 City services for the first time, and was ranked third in terms of City services according to businesses.
- Half of households have an emergency preparedness kit, a slight improvement since 2010. The majority of businesses do not.
- Residents preferred an increase in taxes to maintain the same level of service.
Businesses preferred service and tax reductions.
The poll is independent and representative of the entire community. The telephone surveys were conducted using a sample of 600 households and 300 businesses.
- 2013 Citizen Survey [PDF - 2 MB]
- 2013 Business Survey [PDF - 2.3 MB]
- 2013 Citizen Survey Presentation to Council [PDF - 646 KB]
- 2013 Business Survey Presentation to Council [PDF - 652 KB]