Parking is Easier Starting Today

Today, a range of improvements to shift motorists from higher-demand on-street parking spots to available spaces in the City's five parkades is being introduced.

The improvements address convenience, cost and availability – parking considerations identified earlier this year through consultation with more than 1,000 people. 

City Parkades

Starting today, the first hour is always free when motorists park at a City parkade. A first-hour-free coupon is no longer required. In addition, parking at City parkades is free Monday to Saturday from 6 p.m. to 8 a.m. and all day on Sundays and holidays.

Rates in City parkades have been reduced to $2 per hour, and parking is charged in 15-minute increments. With the first hour free, it only costs $2 to park for two hours in a City parkade. The vehicle day rate is $12 ($14 at Bastion Square Parkade due to higher demand) and motorcycles are a $4 daily maximum.

To make short-term parking easier to find in City parkades, lower levels are signed for three-hour maximum parking, Monday to Friday from 8 a.m. - 4 p.m. Longer-term parking is available on mid and upper levels at City parkades (on lower levels at Broughton Street Parkade). City parkades are being painted and new directional signage is being installed to welcome the public with new, reduced rates and a fresher look.

 

A SafeWalk service provides customers with the option of calling a parkade security guard to meet and accompany them to their vehicle. Parkades each have a dedicated SafeWalk phone number, which is posted in each parkade, and available as a wallet card and online.

No Need for First-Hour-Free Coupons

Downtown businesses can be reimbursed at City Hall for any first-hour-free coupons they have purchased.

On-Street Parking

Historically, much of Victoria’s on-street parking has had a time limit of 90 minutes.

To provide flexibility and choice to customers, starting today, there are five parking zones ranging from $1.50 to $3 per hour with 90 minute to 24 hour time limits in effect Monday – Saturday from 9 a.m. – 6 p.m.

On-street parking continues to be free in the evenings from 6 p.m. - 9 a.m., and all day on Sundays and holidays.

A map of the new parking zones [PDF - 342 KB] is available and will be featured on downtown pay stations starting this week. 

Parking Rates

Of the total 3,846 on-street and City parkade spaces downtown, 78% of downtown parking spaces are decreasing in rate or remaining the same, with only 22% increasing in rate.

It is free to park in a City parkade for one hour compared to $3 to park on-street in an area near a City parkade.

Coming Soon

Additional parking improvements are also underway. “Pay by Cell” is coming this fall to make it more convenient for motorists to pay for on-street parking on their mobile device. A Call to Artists to create contemporary artwork for City parkades will go out in October, with artworks installed in 2015.

The City of Victoria is committed to improving customer service and to making parking easier. There are five City parkades within two blocks of all downtown attractions, three City surface parking lots, and nearly 2,000 on-street parking spaces downtown.

Learn more about parking downtown.