Make Your Mark! Share Your Feedback on Create Victoria Draft Plan
June 19, 2017
Starting in February, the community was asked “What does a creative city look like?” to guide the City of Victoria’s cultural planning. Based on extensive public input, the City has developed the Draft Create Victoria Arts and Culture Master Plan [PDF - 9.9 MB] designed to strengthen conditions for creativity, innovation and artistic excellence to flourish in the Capital City.
The draft plan includes a cultural policy and aligns ideas, people and resources around a shared vision and a set of strategies, goals, objectives and actions to guide initiatives and investment over the next five years. The vision for the City’s cultural development is “Victoria radiates creativity and thrives as a home to creative people and everyday artistic encounters.”
Based on the input to date, the City is now seeking further feedback on the draft plan which identifies four strategic priorities: Connecting People and Spaces; Building Cultural Leadership; Telling Our Story; and Being Future-Ready. View the Key Highlights. [PDF - 4.7 MB]
The Draft Arts and Culture Master Plan employs a “creative ecosystem” approach to reflect a shift in Victoria’s cultural development – one that reaches out beyond the arts community to connect with tourism and private sectors, as well as culture, technology and entrepreneurship to engage in broader community conversation.
The draft plan recognizes and responds to the needs of local artists, creative practitioners, arts and culture facilities and organizations, as well as residents and local businesses. All are inter-connected, and in turn, support the health and vitality of a vibrant creative city.
While some proposed actions may be achieved straight away such as addressing the need for cultural spaces, other actions such as new cultural infrastructure and investment will require the development of partnerships and budget requests over the next five years.
Have Your Say!
The community is invited to learn more about the draft plan and provide feedback by way of:
- Online Survey: View the draft plan at victoria.ca/create and complete a short survey by July 11, 2017.
- Email to: email@example.com
- Tweet @CityofVictoria #CreateVictoria
- Create Victoria Pop-up Engagement Stations: Drop by the Create Victoria kiosk to learn more and provide feedback on what’s being proposed for Victoria’s arts and culture scene. Participate in hands-on art projects for the whole family and enjoy some complimentary cool treats at:
- Spirit of 150 Victoria’s ‘Youth Day’, Thursday, June 22 from 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. at Ship Point
- Eventide Music Series, Thursday, July 6 from 6 p.m. – 9 p.m. at Centennial Square
- Create Victoria Open House: During Festival Mexicano in Centennial Square on Saturday, July 8, drop by City Hall from 1 p.m. – 4 p.m. to view informative displays, enjoy cool treats and art activities, and take the opportunity to learn more and speak with City staff.
Public feedback will inform the Draft Create Victoria Arts and Culture Master Plan that is presented to City Council in a workshop in late July. The final plan will be presented for adoption in September. Once adopted, a work plan will be developed for implementation to begin late fall.
Learn how the draft plan may benefit you. Check out our fact sheet series "What's in it for Me?"
Go to Top