Starting a Business
Getting your new or developing business off the ground in Victoria? Here's how to get started.
Register Your Business Name
- In order to start a business in the Province of BC, your business will need to be registered through BC Registry Services
Select a Location
- Selecting a location is an important step in order to determine if the location is appropriate for the business. Selecting a location can be done independently or through a qualified real estate agent.
Identify Zoning and Permitted Uses
- The location of a business must comply with local zoning and bylaw regulations as well as the BC Building Code. Before confirming a lease or purchase agreement, it is important to ensure the location of the business is suitable. Once a location has been selected, VicMap or one of our City representatives can assist with identifying these regulations.
Search the location in VicMap using the search tool
View the zoning associated with the subject property
Ensure the use of the proposed business complies with the permitted uses in the zone
Identify any parking requirements for the property
Ensure the major occupancy of the business conforms to the building code regulations
Apply for Building Permits & Sign Permits
- Any alternations made to a space may require one or more permits. In addition, any exterior signage requires a sign permit. These can be obtained through the Permits and Inspections department as City Hall.
Apply for a Business Licence
- All businesses in the City of Victoria are required to obtain a business licence. Applications can be submitted online or in person at City Hall.