Build Back Victoria
The Build Back Victoria program includes several initiatives to support local businesses during the COVID-19 pandemic by providing access to public spaces for commercial use. Spaces on streets, pathways, sidewalks, parks and plazas are temporarily available for businesses use with a permit.
Review the new Build Back Victoria Permit Requirements and Information to find a solution that is right for your business.Current participants have a time-limited period to meet all new program requirements. Any new applicant must meet all program requirements.
All businesses and organizations must be approved by permit to operate. Protecting human heath and maintaining public access and safety are key components in the BBV program.
- Proof of Insurance must be provided in the minimum amount of $5 million with the City added as an additional insured
- All applications must include an associated site plan drawing of the outdoor space
- Portable propane heaters are permitted, to be installed and used as per the manufacturer’s requirements. Proper outdoor propane tank storage and fire safety plans are required.
- Roof coverings are permitted in the form of umbrellas, tents, and retractable awnings that are attached to a temporary patio structure
- An accessible patio design is required including curb ramps, cane-detectable boundaries and accessible seating.
- Solar or battery powered lights on tables or railings are permitted
- Plumbed gas, water, or hardwired electrical connections are not permitted.
- Structures are to remain temporary, non-permanent, and not to be anchored into the roadway or sidewalk
A full list of changes, new program requirements and information can be found through the Build Back Victoria Permit Requirements and Information link provided above.
Government St. Timed Access Restrictions
- Timed loading and vehicle access: Private vehicles and deliveries will have access to Government Street from 10pm until noon, seven days a week.
- Timed pedestrian priority zone: The street will be closed to vehicle traffic between noon and 10pm, seven days a week, to provide additional space for pedestrians to stroll, shop and enjoy the multiple outdoor patios.
- New loading zones and more accessible parking: Passenger and commercial loading zones as well as accessible parking stalls will be installed on and adjacent to the corridor. The loading zones on Government Street will still be available for deliveries until 12 noon. Loading zones in the vicinity are shown in red on the map below.
Go to Top