Street vendors are part of the unique character of our downtown, help enliven the City, and provide a valuable service to residents and visitors alike.
As part of the business licence approval process, a street vendor is required to go through a review of his/her proposed kiosk. The review process ensures that kiosks are compatible with the character of the commercial area and help enliven the City. The information below will assist applicants with the application process:
- Find a suitable location for the vending cart. Please note that the site cannot be City of Victoria property. You will need to obtain written approval from the registered owner of the proposed private property location, and provide a letter from the lessee as well.
- Applicants must provide a detailed site plan showing the location where the cart will be located on the proposed property.
- Applicants must submit a Business Licence application. Applications are available during regular hours (Mon to Fri 8:00am-4:30pm) at the Public Service Counter at City Hall. Business Licence Applications may also be downloaded and submitted online. The Business Licence fee is $100.
- No retail sales permitted.
- Food vending cart needs to be approved by Island Health. Please call 250.519.3401.
- If using propane, you will need to obtain a Certificate of Inspection from the British Columbia Safety Authority. Please call 1.866.566.7233.
Note: The food vending program along Government Street is closed to new applicants. In addition, the Lower Causeway is now under the jurisdiction of the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority. Contact the GVHA at 250.383.8300.