New regulations for short term rentals are now in place.
These regulations allow short-term rentals for eligible operators subject to a Business Licence and compliance with operating requirements.
Eligible operators must have a Short-Term Rental Business Licence. You can email your completed application and supporting documentation to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Short-Term Rental Business Licence Application Form [PDF - 39 KB]
- Owner Consent Form [PDF - 459 KB](if needed)
- Strata Consent Form [PDF - 460 KB] (if needed)
You are eligible if:
- Your short term rental is your principal residence – the whole home on occasion (for example, when you are on vacation), or up to two bedrooms in your home with shared kitchen and living spaces. This does not include a self contained suite, except for when a renter (with owner's permission) rents out a suite (their principal residence) on occasion. For more information, view Schedule D - Home Occupations [PDF - 49 KB].
- You own a legally non-conforming unit where transient accommodation was a permitted use, otherwise known as a "grandfathered" property. Changes to the Zoning Bylaw now prohibit short-term rentals in residential units where "transient accommodation" was a permitted use in zoning. However, properties may be considered legally non-conforming under this use if they have been operating a short-term rental in a transient accommodation zone prior to the zoning changes, and comply with strata regulations and operating requirements. However, please note that for properties in transient zones, legal non-confirming status cannot be confirmed until a Business Licence application is processed.
New Business Licence rates:
- $150 where the short-term rental is offered in the operator’s principal residence
- $1,500 for all other types of short-term rentals
*Please note: As this legislation was enacted mid-year, the Business Licence rate for 2018 will be prorated.
- February 22, 2018 Committee of the Whole report with proposed Business Licence fees
- November 23, 2017 Committee of the Whole report
- September 21, 2017 regulatory framework report
- Short-Term Rental Market Overview, Host Compliance LLC (redacted) [PDF - 7.3 MB]