City of Victoria regulations allow short-term rentals for eligible operators. Eligible operators must have a Short-Term Rental Business Licence and comply with operating requirements.
You are eligible if:
- Your short-term rental unit is your principal residence:
- the whole home on occasion (for example, when you are on vacation); or
- up to two bedrooms in your home with shared kitchen and living spaces.
- You own a legally non-conforming unit where transient accommodation was a permitted use. Changes to the Zoning Bylaw now prohibit short-term rentals in residential units where "transient accommodation" was a permitted use in zoning. However, properties may be considered legally non-conforming under this use if they have been operating a short-term rental in a transient accommodation zone prior to the zoning changes, and comply with strata regulations and operating requirements.
You are not eligible if:
- The short-term rental unit is:
- a self-contained dwelling suite, except for when a renter rents it out on occasion with owner's permission.
For more information about eligiblity, view Schedule D - Home Occupations.
Applying for a Short-Term Rental Business Licence
You may apply for a short-term rental business licence by sending a complete application and supporting documentation to email@example.com.
NOTE: All short-term rental business licences must be re-applied for annually.
- 2023 Short-Term Rental Business Licence Application Form [PDF - 118 KB]
- 2023 Owner Consent Form [PDF - 40 KB] (if required)
- 2023 Strata Council Consent Form [PDF - 55 KB] (if required)
Short-Term Rental Business Licence Rates
- Principal residence: $150
- All other types of short-term rentals: $1,500
Short-Term Rental Business Licence Appeal Process
If you are denied a short-term rental business licence, you may request that Council reconsider your business licence application. You will have an opportunity to submit your reasons for reconsideration and Council may decide to either uphold or deny your appeal for a business licence. View the Short-Term Rental Business Licence Appeal Process Policy.
Start a request for appeal by sending an e-mail to the City Clerk’s Office at firstname.lastname@example.org.