2019 Budget Information
The 2019 operating budget totals $260.6 million and the capital budget totals $97.2 million.
Property Tax Breakdown
.91% City Operations
1.5% Capital Investment
.08% Greater Victoria Public Library
- .75% Property Tax Revenue from Growth
= 2.53% City Portion of Property Tax Increase
+ 1.45% Provincial Health Tax
= 3.98% Overall Tax Increase
View the Draft 2019 Financial Plan [PDF - 386 MB].
- Replace aging pipes and underground infrastructure, including some of the City’s oldest pipes installed in 1891,to ensure clean water and environmental protection for the harbour and City natural areas
- $5.5 million in continued funding for the Greater Victoria Public Library, including the Central and sxʷeŋxʷəŋ təŋəxʷ James Bay branches
- Funding for a Neighbourhoods Team to work with neighbourhood groups and residents to create vibrant communities
- Support for arts, culture and events with approximately $1.5 million including public art, festivals, special events, City of Victoria Butler Book Prize, Artist in Residence and Poet Laureate programs
- Invest in the City’s parks, recreation and facilities, including 137 parks, 207 hectares of parkland, 90 hectares of natural landscape, 40 playgrounds, 23 tennis courts, 12 dog off leash areas, 45 sports fields and 104 City facilities.
- Increased capital investment of $975,000 to improve City streets
- Crosswalk installations or upgrades at seven locations
- Planning for the replacement of the Ross Bay Seawall
- Wharf and Humboldt Streets, and Vancouver Street pedestrian and cycling improvements
- Technology improvements including digital plans, online forms, online business licences
- Climate action initiatives to reduce emissions by 80% and transition to 100% renewable energy by 2050
- Emergency Management Program
- Safety and lighting upgrades at City parkades