April 23, 2020
Council Highlights provide a snapshot of the progress made on City programs, initiatives and on Council decision-making. For more information on each initiative, please visit the accompanying link where noted. The items are selected highlights from the April 23, 2020 Council Meeting. To review all the topics discussed, click here to see the full agenda and webcast.
We welcome anyone who would like to receive Council Highlights to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. To visit the City Council Meeting Dashboard, click here.
Please note: Council meetings are webcast live and archived. Based on recommendations by public health officials, as of March 19:
- Council has suspended the holding of Public Hearings in accordance with the Class Order on COVID-19 from the Office of the Provincial Health Officer until further notice.
- Council has also suspended the question period sections of Council meeting agendas for in-person participation.
- Requests to address Council will be limited to six delegations through either telephone participation, where possible, and the reading out of submissions and/or broadcasting of recorded submissions, if necessary.
Temporary Council Process During COVID-19
Council approved temporary processes during the COVID-19 pandemic, including:
- Authorize telephone participation for request to address Council participants
- Staff will report back on the suspension of Public Hearings upon receipt of further information from the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing
- Amend the Council and Committee of the Whole schedule to continue with the suspension of evening meetings until May 30, 2020, or earlier should circumstances warrant
- Staff will report back with a verbal update by May 14, 2020, with an anticipated timeline for restoring ordinary opportunities for public participation
Victoria Police Department – Special Funding Request for Topaz Park Policing Costs
Council authorized the following re-allocation of previously approved resources from the Late Night Great Night Program funding in the 2020 Provisional Financial Plan, to ensure public safety and public health during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Up to $100,000 to book accommodation for vulnerable populations, including people facing domestic violence, with staff directed to deploy these resources with no delay, working with partners to provide appropriate support services
- Up to $52,500 in additional public safety measures if required
If the remaining funds in the Late Night Great Night Program are expended, a potential additional allocation to year end will be considered.
Heritage Advisory Panel and Advisory Design Panel Referrals During the COVID-19 Pandemic
Council authorized meetings of the Heritage Advisory Panel and Advisory Design Panel to be conducted electronically during the period that the provincial declaration of a state of emergency is in effect.
Council Member Motion – Re-Opening of Provincial Parks
Council has requested the Province to re-open provincial parks for day use in order to reduce levels of use in local and regional parks and allow for greater physical distancing, giving particular consideration to provincial parks on Southern Vancouver Island, the Lower Mainland and in proximity to other urban population centres in the province.
Short Term Rental (STR) Business Licence Appeal Process Policy
Council approved a Short-Term Rental Business Licence Appeal Process Policy, for appealing short-term rental business license decisions. An overview of the policy is noted below:
- An Appellant may start an appeal by submitting a request for an appeal to the City Clerk
- The City Clerk replies to the Appellant to acknowledge the request for an appeal and explain the appeal process
- An Appellant makes a written submission
- A Licence Inspector responds to the Appellant's written submission in a written letter
- An Appellant provides a response to a Licence Inspector's response
- A Licence Inspector submits a report to Council
- The City Clerk informs the Appellant of the date that Council will consider the appeal
Go to Top