March 26, 2020
Council Highlights provide a snapshot of the progress made on City programs, initiatives and on Council decision-making. For more information on each initiative, please visit the accompanying link where noted. The items are selected highlights from the March 12, 2020 Council Meeting. To review all the topics discussed, click here to see the full agenda and webcast.
Please note: Council meetings webcast live and archived. Based on recommendations by public health officials, as of March 19:
- Council has suspended the holding of public hearings in accordance with the Class Order on COVID-19 from the Office of the Provincial Health Officer until further notice. (NOTE: The public hearing for 1301 Hillside has been cancelled.)
- Council has also suspended the question period sections of Council meeting agendas for in-person participation.
- Requests to address Council will be limited to six delegations through either telephone participation, where possible, and the reading out of submissions and/or broadcasting of recorded submissions, if necessary.
Consideration of a Declaration of a State of Local Emergency
As the Province has declared a Provincial State of Emergency, Council has voted to postpone request for a declaration of a State of Local Emergency from the Minister of Public Safety. Arising from that motion, Council has written to the province to advocate on behalf of small businesses and non-profits which have been affectedin Victoria with respect to rent relief, halting evictions, increased rents and other onerous terms by land owners during the state of emergency and that this is an urgent matter noting that rents were due on April 1, 2020.
Council and Committee of the Whole Schedule
The 2020 Council and Committee of the Whole meeting schedule has been amended until the end of April to provide for:
- the suspension of evening Council meetings effective immediately
- conducting Council meetings on the second and fourth Thursday during the day following Committee of the Whole at 12 noon