Renters' Advisory Committee
Thank you to all those who applied to serve on the City of Victoria Renters' Advisory Committee. The deadline to submit an application was October 3, 2021.
The eight selected candidates will be notified in mid-October and will be expected to attend the November 16, 2021 Renters' Advisory Committee meeting.
The Renters’ Advisory Committee provides advice and recommendations to Victoria City Council on:
- Policies to protect and improve the quality and affordability of existing rental stock
- Policies to increase rental housing stock
- Improving conditions and well-being for renters living within Victoria
- Strategic priorities for the City relating to renters
- Impacts of provincial and federal legislation affecting tenants
- Enhancing access and inclusion of renters in the development of municipal policy and civic life
- Other matters that the Renters’ Advisory Committee deems relevant to the interests of renters within Victoria
Committee members are to represent the diverse perspectives and experiences of renters and renters’ advocates.
Three members are to have expertise or lived experience on accessibility issues.
Appointed by Council, up to 12 members serve two-year terms. The membership rotates to provide overlapping terms, with annual recruitment to replace outgoing members.
Two members of City Council are appointed to serve as non-voting liaisons to the Renters’ Advisory Committee.
For details, view the Terms of Reference [PDF - 104 KB].
The Committee meets monthly for two hours from September to November and January to June.
Renters' Advisory Committee Work Plan
The 2019-2021 Work Plan summarizes the high priority objectives for the Committee and establishes an action plan to achieve those objectives.
The Renters' Advisory Committee currently includes:
- Yuka Kurokawa
- Leslie Robinson
- Alieda Blandford
- Amy Dewar
- Azmina Janmohamed
- Carrie Elaine Chapple
- Heather Kirkham
- Neha Sharma
- Ryan Moen
- Stefanie Hardman