Victoria Family Court and Youth Justice Committee
The mandate of the Committee is to be aware of the circumstances of youth and families who may come in contact with the justice system.
The Victoria Family Court and Youth Justice Committee pursues its mandate, as cited above, by:
- liaising with frontline service providers at monthly meetings
- educating the public and elected officials
- obtaining youth and family input
- reviewing family and youth legislation
- monitoring court hearings and custody facilities
- making recommendations to appropriate legislative bodies
Thank you to all those who applied to be a member of this committee. Those appointed by Council will be contacted by City staff.
There are no specific qualifications required to sit on this committee.
The Victoria Family Court and Youth Justice Committee includes representation from thirteen municipalities, several youth-oriented interest organizations in the Greater Victoria community, and the government of British Columbia. The Committee is composed of representatives from each of the 13 Greater Victoria municipalities, local School Districts and the Capital Regional District Board. Victoria City Council appoints one Councillor and one citizen member to the Committee. Each serves a term of one year. Find out more about the Committee.
Council appointed members for the Victoria Family Court and Youth Justice Committee are:
- Councillor Sharmarke Dubow (from January 1, 2019 - December 31, 2020)