What is Gentle Density and how does it fit into Fairfield?
Given recent trends, we expect Fairfield to add 40-60 new homes annually, on average in the coming years (see population forecasts below). How we accommodate growth will impact the look and feel of Fairfield in the future.
“Gentle Density” is a strategy for responding to changing conditions and growth by supporting a variety of housing forms that absorb growth and change while minimizing their impacts. Gentle Density provides opportunities for intergenerational living, changing lifestyles, new families, and aging-in-place. It provides opportunities for housing diversity and more attainable housing options.
You can find out more by joining us at the pop-up storefront, #4 313 Cook St, next to the butcher. Tell us what you think about housing in Fairfield in the online Gentle Density Survey.
- Neighbourhood housing considerations [PDF - 1.9 MB]
- Population forecasts [PDF - 84 KB]
- Design guidelines summary [PDF - 519 KB]
- Design guidelines for townhouses [PDF - 484 KB]
- What is floor space ratio?
- Financial analysis - duplexes and houseplexes [PDF - 1.9 MB]
- Financial analysis - townhouses [PDF - 139 KB]
- Map of areas near Cook Street Village and along Fairfield Road [PDF - 617 KB]
- Map of other Traditional Residential areas [PDF - 617 KB]
- Map of larger lots in Fairfield's Traditional Residential areas [PDF - 3 MB]
See the Videos
- Why Gentle Density?
- Southgate Gentle Density
- Linden Avenue Gentle Density
- Howe Street Gentle Density
Menu of Housing Options
Single detached house (could have one basement OR garden suite)
Go to Top