Government Street Refresh
The City of Victoria invites you share your ideas on how to make Government Street one of the best streets in Canada.
What do you value most and what would you like to see improved on Government Street between Pandora Avenue and Humboldt Street? Public input will help inform the Government Street Refresh project to develop a long-term, pedestrian-focused concept design and implementation strategy.
Why are we doing this design work now?
- The Government Street streetscape hasn’t changed in more than 50 years. The street furniture and street trees, traffic signals and other streetscape elements are nearing the end of their life and will need replacement in the coming years.
- We want to support downtown businesses impacted by the pandemic and build on the success of the City’s Build Back Victoria program.
- We also want to improve accessibility to support people with disabilities as well as encourage age-friendly public spaces to support children, youth and seniors.
- The watermain underneath Government Street is scheduled for replacement in 2022/2023.
- Making Government Street a people-priority street is an action of the City’s 2019-2022 Strategic Plan and other planning guiding documents.
Three Phases of Engagement
There will be three phases of public engagement. Public input collected now will help inform the draft design concept that will be shared in the fall with the community for feedback. The concept will then be refined and shared for further feedback in January 2022. A final concept will be presented to Council for consideration early next year.
A stakeholder working group representing diverse interests and organizations, and outreach with Government Street businesses, will inform input and feedback at key stages of the design process.
The concept design will help inform future financial planning and will consider phased implementation to align with planned infrastructure upgrades for Government Street, including a planned watermain replacement in 2022/2023.
The community is invited to help shape the Government Street Refresh design concept to ensure this street continues to be a vibrant, historic and animated public space for the next 50 years.
Phase 1 Engagement:
Thank you to all those who contributed to our online survey and ideas activity.
Your input will help inform the draft concept design that will be shared with the public for feedback this fall. Learn more.