Artist in Residence - Keep Art in Mind
Call to Artists: Artist in Residence
Could you be our next Artist in Residence?
The City of Victoria is requesting Expressions of Interest from professional artists working in visual media and/or performance arts to apply to be our next Artist in Residence.
The Artist in Residence program aims to ‘keep art in mind’, providing the opportunity for an artist to work collaboratively with City staff to identify and develop a creative artwork for one or more public art projects annually over a two-year term. Artists must reside in British Columbia. The deadline for submissions is Friday, April 26, 2019 at 4 p.m.
Visual media consists of painting, print-making, drawing, sculpture, crafts, photography, film and video; and performance arts include theatre, music and dance.
Thank you to those who were able to attend our Information Session on April 17 at City Hall.
You are also welcome to email questions to the Arts, Culture and Events office.
An artist's Expression of Interest will be evaluated on the basis of:
- Artistic excellence, quality of artwork and professional experience
- Sensitivity to the context of urban planning
- Evidence of broad thinking and conceptual clarity
- Ability and willingness to work extensively with the community and City staff through a collaborative consultation process
- Ability to work well with a wide range of people, including community members, planners, City staff, designers, engineers, arts professionals, and professionals in other fields; and
- An expressed desire to create artwork for a public space
A selection panel of qualified individuals will review the Expressions of Interest based on the project objectives and selection criteria. A shortlist of artists will be recommended for interviews.
This competition is open to professional artists working in visual and/or media arts, who reside in British Columbia.
Artists must demonstrate a particular interest in the intersection between art, design and urban planning.
The City's Public Art Policy defines an artist as "any person, who by virtue of professional training, exhibition history and/or critical review is recognized as skilled in making works of art." (UNESCO)
Term and Artist Fee
The Artist in Residence will work 20 hours per week during a two-year term for an annual fee of $42,000. Materials, fabrication and installation may be funded by a capital project's budget, or with up to $30,000 annually from the Art in Public Places Reserve Fund.
How to Apply
Submissions must be uploaded electronically at https://victoria.bonfirehub.ca
Hard copies and emailed submissions will not be accepted.
For detailed submission requirements and further background information, please carefully read the Call to Artists.
- Call to Artists - Expressions of Interest for the Artist in Residence [PDF - 260 KB]
- Contact and Checklist Form [PDF - 28 KB]
- Digital Image Documentation List [PDF - 23 KB]
The deadline for submissions is Friday, April 26, 2019 at 4 p.m.
Estimated Project Timeline
Wednesday, April 10 Call to Artists opens
Wednesday, April 17 Information Session
Friday, April 26 at 4 p.m. Submission deadline
Early May Selection Committee's review
May Interviews with shortlisted candidates
June 1 Artist Residency begins
The Call to Artists for the Indigenous Artist in Residence will be announced later this year, after consultation with local Indigenous groups.
For More Information