Special Event Permits

Victoria is a vibrant city which hosts a range of events, from world-class competitions and festivals to neighbourhood block parties and weddings.

Groups that are looking to host an event in any City of Victoria owned public space are required to submit a permit application 

Our Arts, Culture and Events Team can guide you through the permitting process for a safe and memorable event. Please ensure you review all information below to get started. Please note that not all permits are issued from the same office. You will find appropriate contact information within each section below.

I want to:

  1. Apply for a Special Event Permit

    A "special event" in the City of Victoria is a celebration, festival or other gathering in a municipal space such as a park, square, road or sidewalk.  Special events that are not-for-profit and bring economic and social benefits to the community are provided with a basic level of city services.  For more information, refer to our Special Event Permit Guidelines.

    Application Form:

    Additional Forms:

    *Please note that Special Event Permit Applications require a minimum of 4-6 weeks notice.  Events requiring road closures or multiple-day park use require a minimum of 8 weeks notice.

    Related Bylaws, Guidelines and Policies, and other helpful links:

    Contact: culture@victoria.ca

  2. Apply for a Noise Bylaw Exemption

    If your event includes amplified sound, you will need to submit a Noise Bylaw Exemption Application. A Noise Bylaw Exemption may also be applied for events on private property, that are not open to the public.

    Written notification must be provided to all businesses and residents likely to be affected by your amplified sound. Notification must include phone numbers for contacts before, during and following the event. The City may require approval of the content of the letter and written proof of its delivery.

    While planning an event with a Noise Bylaw Exemption, some examples of what you should consider are:

    • Are there specific areas of programming that will impact the neighbourhood in a negative way? How can you minimize these impacts?
    • Have you considered your hours of operation and how they will impact the surrounding areas?
    • Have you considered the orientation of stage/sound sources and where that noise can travel?
    • Will your equipment or sound technician be aware of sound levels and be knowledegable of how to control them?
    • How will you minimize other noise created by your event (including set-up and

    Contact: culture@victoria.ca

  3. Apply for a Cameron Bandshell Permit

    Events at the Cameron Bandshell and within Beacon Hill Park are subject to the Beacon Hill Park policy and have a separate application form. Based on these guidelines, limited events are eligible to be hosted here.  Please ensure you fully understand the guidelines before planning your event.

    Contact: culture@victoria.ca


  4. Apply for a Block Party Permit

    Many of Victoria's neighbourhoods enjoy hosting a block party to celebrate a special occasion or milestone. To ensure there is appropriate coordination and planning, we require that anyone planning a block party on City streets, sidewalks or other public space has a permit. The information below will assist you in completing the Block Party Permit Application. Upon approval of your application, a permit to hold your Block Party will be issued free of charge. Block Party Applications require four weeks advance notice.

    Contact: culture@victoria.ca

  5. Apply for a Wedding Permit

    City parks provide a beautiful setting for a wedding. Some popular wedding locations include Laurel Point Park, Stone Bridge, the Rose Garden and the Wagon Wheel in Beacon Hill Park and Stadacona Park.

    A Wedding Permit Application must be submitted to the Parks division at least six weeks prior to your requested date. The applicant must obtain and maintain comprehensive insurance coverage naming the City of Victoria as an insured indemnified party. If you do not have insurance, it can be purchased through the City at the time of permit application.

    Contact: parkspermits@victoria.ca

  6. Apply for a Park Permit

    Victoria parks provide natural settings for picnics and small group gatherings. A Parks Permit covers private gatherings such as picnics and birthday parties, but not public events. Visit our Parks page for more information, or fill out an application below.

    Contact: parkspermits@victoria.ca

  7. Find an Outdoor Venue

    There are a number of outdoor locations in Victoria which are popular for concert, band or choir performances. Currently, the Cameron Bandshell the only turn-key venue available.  Centennial Square is available for bookings, but no sound equipment or site services (power and water) are provided.

    There are many other beautiful city parks, roads and squares available to stage your event including MacDonald Park, Fishermen’s Wharf and Topaz Park. If this is your first time planning an event and you are unsure of what location might be best for your event, email culture@victoria.ca for some guidance.

    Some venues are in the public space and administered by the City of Victoria, and others are in provincially or commercially owned locations. Find out more about other venues here.

  8. Provide Event Feedback

    Do you have feedback on City of Victoria hosted or permitted events? Submit feedback through our feedback form or email eventfeedback@victoria.ca