Information for Developers and Property Owners

Property owners will be asked to submit a Tenant Assistance Plan with any rezoning or missing middle development application involving the displacement of tenants.

Your Tenant Assistance Plan can be submitted at the same time you submit your application. 

Click to enlarge Tenant Assistance Policy guide [PDF - 408 KB]

Tenant Assistance Plan Process

Housing staff will review your Tenant Assistance Plan and provide guidance and feedback to support alignment with the City’s Tenant Assistance Policy, including any recommendations for supporting any Tenants requiring additional assistance. A summary of your Tenant Assistance Plan will be included with the staff report to the Committee of the Whole (Council) for the rezoning application.

All necessary documents, including template letters and reports, can be found below.

Recent Changes to the Policy & Package include:

January 2023  -   The Tenant Assistance Policy was updated to align with the proposed partial development permit fee refund, where tenant assistance is provided in conjunction with a Development Permit for Missing Middle Developments.

December 2022 -  The Tenant Assistance Package was updated to make the Tenant Assistance Plan more user-friendly. (There were no changes to the Tenant Assistance Policy itself)

Supporting Documents

Download the Tenant Assistance Policy and supporting documents here:

Tenant Assistance Package.pdf [PDF - 2 MB] (all documents)

  1. Instructions for Applicant.pdf [PDF - 573 KB]
  2. Tenant Assistance Policy  [PDF - 249 KB]
  3. Tenant Assistance Plan.pdf [PDF - 419 KB]
  4. Request for Tenant Assistance Form [PDF - 339 KB]
  5. Sample Letter to Tenants [DOCX - 25 KB]
  6. Tenant Relocation Guide.pdf [PDF - 182 KB]
  7. Final Tenant Assistance Report [DOCX - 59 KB]

Final Tenant Assistance Report 

If you are successful in your rezoning or development application, you will be asked to demonstrate your completion of all steps in the Tenant Assistance Plan by submitting a Final Tenant Assistance Report to the City ahead of building occupancy.

Information for Tenants