Information for Tenants

Victoria's Tenant Assistance Policy is intended to complement existing provincial regulations.

Under recent changes to the Residential Tenancy Act:

  • Landlords must give four months' notice to end tenancy for demolition, renovation or repair, or conversion, and tenants have 30 days to dispute the notice.
  • A tenant has a right of first refusal to enter into a new tenancy agreement at a rent determined by the landlord if the landlord ends their tenancy to renovate or repair the rental unit. This right of first refusal applies only to a rental unit in a residential property containing 5 or more units.
  • If your landlord plans to undertake major renovations or redevelop the building, they should have all necessary permits (building, electrical, and plumbing) before they can give you a notice to end tenancy. To check if permits have been issued or are in process for your building, contact the City’s Permits division.

For the most up-to-date provincial regulations regarding tenancies, visit the Residential Tenancy Branch website.

Victoria's Tenant Assistance Policy

In addtion to rules under the Residential Tenancy Act, the City of Victoria's Tenant Assistance Policy recommends landlords provide tenants with:

  • Compensation based on length of tenancy, in the form of lump sum payment or free rent;
  • Moving expenses and assistance;
  • Relocation assistance in finding alternate accomodation; and
  • Right of First Refusal (if applicable) to return to the building.

Please refer to the Tenant Assistance Policy for further details and guidelines for market rental housing and non-market rental or social housing.

Tenants Requiring Additional Assistance

The City of Victoria's Tenant Assistance Policy is focused towards tenants for whom the impact of displacement may be more acute. Tenants requiring additional assistance may include (but not limited to):

  • Long-term tenants who may be paying significantly below market-rent, and for whom entering the current market may present financial challenges
  • Tenants with specific housing needs due to a disability (physical and/or mental health issues)
  • Seniors, who may be long-term tenants and living on a fixed income
  • Families with young children, who may have difficulty finding appropriate units
  • Newcomers (recent immigrants and refugees)
  • Households with very low (<$19,999) to low ($20,000 - $34,999) income
  • Self-reporting of additional assistance required by tenants (disclosure to the applicant on the reason for requiring assistance is not required)

The City may, at its discretion, request that additional financial compensation or support be provided to tenants requiring additional assistance.


 Information for Property Owners and Developers