Victoria West Park
Victoria West Park is the second largest park in the Victoria West neighbourhood. It's also the eighth largest park in the city, and home to a number of great community features including Victoria's only skate park.
Recent Park Improvements
In 2015 a park improvement plan was created to guide future improvements. This plan was informed by a comprehensive community engagement. In 2016 playground improvements, a fenced dog off-leash area, and upgrades to the beginner bowl of the skate park were complete. Other features of the plan will be constructed in phases over a number of years, as funding allows.
Playground: The playground is now open for the community to enjoy. The new play equipment includes a structure for children age two - five years old and another for ages five - 12. There is also a new natural play area with sand and logs and a picnic table.
Skate Park: In the skate park, the original bowl has been replaced with two new bowls with over ten elements including a transition pyramid, pump bump, steep bank extension and a transition extension.
Dog Off-Leash Area: A new dog off-leash area has been constructed in the north east corner of the park. The fully fenced off-leash dog area includes a double gate to keep dogs safe as they enter the dog park. A water fountain for people and dogs and new benches make the space more inviting.
- Multi-use sports field for baseball and soccer
- Skate park
- Lawn bowling club
- Basketball court
- Fenced off-leash dog park
- Two parking areas
- Public washroom
Park Improvement Plan
View the park improvement plan here: Vic West Park Improvement Plan [PDF - 1.6 MB]
The plan will be constructed in phases over a number of years, as funding allows. The improvements will include:
- Fenced dog off-leash area and additional off-leash area for off-peak hours
- Bottle fill station with a dog-friendly fountain
- Field improvements to the primary ball diamond with new bleacher seating
- Redesigned parking lot with bike parking area
- Space for a community garden
- Larger improved playground, with a possible water play feature
- New community ‘Play Box’ and recreational open space
- New picnic area
- Resurfacing the basketball court
- Improvements to the beginners bowl in the skate park (with further consultation)
- New washroom by skate park, with a bottle fill station
- New shaded seating area by skate park
- Storage and locker facilities by the skate park
- Paved and widened multi-use pathway on east side of park
- New gravel pathway on north end of park
- New trees north of the skate park
Full reports of community feedback can be found here:
- November 2015 - Park Improvements Engagement Summary [PDF - 493 KB]
- Summer 2015 - Phase One Engagement Summary [PDF - 3.2 MB]
- Summer 2015 - Skate Park Engagement Summary [PDF - 3.4 MB]