Permits & Inspections

Why Do I Need a Permit & How Do I Get One?

The City of Victoria requires permits to protect private and public property, ensuring life safety standards are upheld, protecting the interests of both individuals and the community as a whole. Permit applications are reviewed against Zoning BylawsPlanning Policies and other applicable legislation such as the BC code requirements for health, safety, fire protection and accessibility.

To obtain a permit please follow the links provided under Applications & Information and you will find information that will assist you through the application process. 

If you are not sure if you need a permit, send us an email with a description of the project and the type of building or address.

Applications & Information: 

•  Building Permits                                       •  Electrical Permits

•  Plumbing Permits                                     •  Signage Permits

•  Blasting Permits                                       •  Accessing Permit and Property Records

•  Liquor and Cannabis Regulation Branch Liquor License Application Referrals

•  Permit Fee Summary

Customer Service

A variety of convenient online self serve options are available through our various web applications and our Permit Services Representatives are available to provide service and assistance with the following: 

Contact us:

Voicemail Service Interruption: 

For the past few weeks our Voicemail System experienced technical issues resulting in voicemail messages not being returned between March 23 - April 26. We apologize to our customers who left a voicemail message and never got a return call during this period. This issue was related to a recent updating of our phone system. We have resolved the issue and are working through the backlog of missed voicemails. Again, we apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused our customers.


Phone: 250.361.0344 8:30 a.m. - 4 p.m.

In person: By appointment - 2nd floor of Victoria City Hall, 1 Centennial Square

Reporting Work Without Permit

Active construction permits can be viewed on VicMap. Instructions can be found here.

Work Without Permit can be reported online by using the online Complaint Submission Form.