Accessing Permit Records
Permit records can be useful when purchasing property or planning a renovation
Permit Record Services
The City of Victoria provides access to permit records and information related to properties while ensuring that the privacy of property owners is protected. Our services include:
Permit History Search
- Permit History information is available online, free of charge, through VicMap.
- This search provides the basic information of a property including year built, last approved use based on permit records and all building, plumbing or electrical permits for the property.
Permit Plan Search
- This search provides access to retained records, including plans for a specific property, at the owner's request. Avaliable records will vary from address to address. **Due to COVID-19 restrictions, plans will be sent directly to Island Blue Print for viewing (additional fees may apply). Please allow up to 5 business days for the plans to be delivered for viewing after the request has been processed.**
Property Status Letter
- Property Status information is available online, free of charge, through VicMap.
- A Property Status Letter provides information including year built, last approved use based on permit records and active/outstanding building, plumbing or electrical permits for the property.
Plan search and Written Record fees can be found on our Fee Schedule. A Permit Service Representative will contact you to obtain payment once a request is received.
Applications and Forms
- Permission to Access City Plans.
- Written statement or Report (Property Status Letter). Please email email@example.com to ask for details.
Requests can be dropped off in person at City Hall or by email. When submitting Permit Record requests, please be sure to provide the property address, type of search, your full name and phone number.
Information, Policies & Resources
Permit History Search Using VicMap
- Permit History and Property Status Letter information is freely accessible online using VicMap
- Permit History VicMap Instructions [PDF - 640 KB].
Plans and documents are sent to Island Blue Print for copying and viewing at the requestor's expense. Please contact Island Blue Print directly to inquire about their fees and pricing.
Approved Building Plans
Submission requirements for Building Permit plans have changed over time. As a result, some sets of plans are less comprehensive, and may not include various structural or mechanical drawings. We can't guarantee that the information you need for a current application will appear on existing plans.
Condominium & Apartment Buildings
Plans for apartments or condominium complexes may not contain drawings for individual units. Often, only a typical layout plan of each floor will be submitted. Suites may not be identified by their unit number on these typical layout plans, although there may be drawings of specific unit types.Go to Top