Prior to commencing work related to your project you must obtain a Building Permit.
The BC Building Code 2018 is in effect.
Current Building and Plumbing Regulation Bylaw:
- Building and Plumbing Regulation Bylaw - No. 17-113
Building Permit Applications
- Permit applications may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please contact a Permit Services Representative at 250.361.0344 or email@example.com if you are unable to apply by email.
The City facilitates a pre-application meeting with staff at your request. This meeting can be used as a tool in the planning process and helps to expedite the building permit application process. Please contact the Permits and Inspections staff for more information or to book an appointment.
Building Permit fees are found on our Fee Schedule.
Inspection Requests Are Available Online.
When do I Need a Building Permit?
The Building and Plumbing Regulation Bylaw - No. 17-113 regulates the construction, alteration, repair, and demolition of buildings and other structures within the City of Victoria.
A Building Permit is required prior to commencing work on:
- New buildings or demolition (removal) of buildings
- Replacing structural components of existing structures (for example, stairs, decks, beams, posts, load bearing walls etc.)
- Interior alterations of a building such as tenant improvements, floor plan alterations, mechanical system alterations etc.
- Alterations to life safety systems, such as fire suppression, fire alarm alterations
- Changing the use or occupancy: refer to A-22.214.171.124.(1) Major Occupancy Classification. This includes creation of suites (secondary suites) and new or changing businesses.
- Finishing undeveloped spaces such as basements, attics, garages, crawlspaces etc.
A Building Permit is not required for the following:
- Accessory buildings less than 10 m2 in building area
- Replacing existing finishes such as carpets, flooring, cabinets, counter-tops
- Replacement and maintenance of the following with like for like materials, cladding, roofing, windows and doors
- Retaining structures less than 1.2 meters in height
- Platforms less than 0.6 meters above grade
Applications and Forms
- Building Permit Application Form
- Revision After Building Permit Issuance Form
- Fixture Hydraulic Load Calculation for Water Service Pipe Form
- Solid Fuel-Fired Appliance Installation Form
- Complex Building e-Checklist (New Projects, Additions and Exterior Alteration).pdf [PDF - 748 KB]
- Complex Building Application e-Checklist (Interior Alterations, Change of Use) [PDF - 693 KB]
- Single Family Dwelling or Duplex Application e-Checklist (New Projects, Additions and Exterior Alterations) [PDF - 1 MB]
- Single Family Dwelling or Duplex Application e-Checklist (Interior Alterations, Change of Use) [PDF - 744 KB]
- Interior Strip Out Application e-Checklist (All Buildings) [PDF - 620 KB]
- Demolition Application e-Checklist (Building Removal) [PDF - 608 KB]
Information, Policies & Resources
- Fee Schedule
- Permit Package Information Forms
- Deck Example Plans 2013
- Fire Alarm System FAQ
- BCBC F3 Declaration
- Glass Guards in Part 9 Buildings
- Climatic Data
- TECA Checklist for Forced Air Systems
- TECA Checklist for an HRV
- TECA Checklist for CRV Systems
- TECA Checklist for Exhaust Fans & Passive Inlets