Electrical Permit Application Requirements

In order to apply for an electrical permit, you must be a registered electrical contractor, or a homeowner meeting the requirements of the Safety Standards Act and the Electrical Safety Regulation (2004).

Prior to starting any stage of your project, you must obtain an electrical permit. In many cases, a building permit would be required prior to obtaining your electrical permit.

When applying for an electrical permit, you will need to provide:

  • the address of the property
  • an estimate of the cost of the job
  • electrical permit fee
  • a description of the electrical work to be done
  • an application form completed in full

When applying for a electrical permit, you may be required to provide:

  • electrical drawings detailing the work to be done (check with the electrical inspector)
  • a load calculation of either the circuit or the service

Electrical permit fees are set out in the City of Victoria Electrical Safety Regulation Bylaw #01-43 as follows:

  • $36 for a regular permit in which the value of the material, labour and other services does not exceed $300
  • $43 for a regular permit in which to value of the material, labour and other services is $301 to $500
  • $50 for a regular permit in which to value of the material, labour and other services is $501 to $700
  • $61 for a regular permit in which to value of the material, labour and other services is $701 to $1,000
  • $61 plus $20 for each $1,000 or part thereof for a regular permit in which to value of the material, labour and other services is $1,001 to $20,000
  • $441 plus 1.25 percent for a regular permit in which to value of the material, labour and other services is $20,001 or greater
  • $40 for a temporary construction service permit

Your electrical permit may be issued after the electrical clerk processes the application and the electrical inspector reviews the application for compliance with the bylaws.

The City of Victoria Electrical Safety Regulation Bylaw, the Safety Standards Act, Electrical Safety Regulation  (2004) and the Provincial Electrical Safety Act requires that a electrical permit is necessary for the installation, alteration, repair or maintenance of electrical equipment.

Permits are required prior to commencing work on:

  • wiring new receptacles, switches or lighting fixtures
  • removing part of an electrical system
  • temporary entertainment or construction service
  • any work that requires a utility (BC Hydro) to connect or reconnect a service
  • any electrical work on life safety systems. Under Electrical Safety Act Part 4 Section 21, an electrical permit would not be required (when completed by a qualified person) for minor modifications such as:
    • replacing existing receptacles in the same location
    • installing dimmer switches or fan speed controllers
    • installing snap switches cord attachment plugs
    • lamps
    • fuses up to a maximum 750 volts with equipment of a similar type of rating

Homeowner Electrical Permit Requirements

The following is an excerpt from the Electrical Safety Standards Act M58 April 1, 2004. The reference to Installation Permit is meant to include an Electrical Permit.

When a homeowner may perform electrical work under a permit


  1. Subject to this section, a homeowner may perform electrical work in their fully detached dwelling under an installation permit.
  2. An installation permit may be issued to a homeowner only if
    a) electricity is not fed or supplied from the fully detached dwelling to a separately owned or occupied property, and
    b) the electrical work involves only installations in which the current and voltage do not exceed current of 200 amps and voltage of 150 volts to ground, single phase power.
  3. An installation permit issued under subsection (2) does not authorize the issue of a permit to install the connection from a manufactured home or recreational vehicle to the power supply of a manufactured home park or recreational vehicle park.
  4. A homeowner who performs electrical work under an installation permit must request that the work be inspected by a safety officer
    (a) if the work or a phase of the work is completed, promptly on that completion, or
    (b) if no other inspection has been made within 180 days from the start of the permit, immediately before the expiry of the 180 day period.
  5. If an inspection is required after a request under subsection (4), the inspection must be made after completion of the electrical work and before
    (a) the concealment of any portion of the rough wiring, and
    (b) the connection of power to the electrical supply system.
  6. A homeowner may perform the electrical work in the homeowners fully detached dwelling under an installation permit issued to a licensed electrical contractor for that work if(a) the contractor who holds the permit supervises the work.

Homeowner Inspection Request

Entertainment Permit Information

An Entertainment permit is required for a carnival, concession, trade show, traveling shows, television and movie shoots, stage, theater, or similar public entertainment.

The person taking out this permit must be an Electrical Contractor or other qualified person (FE) or (LE) who is responsible for the electrical installation, it's set up, operation, and maintenance.

There are two types of Entertainment Permits.

  1. Temporary Entertainment Permit. The fee for a temporary entertainment permit is $60 and is valid for 14 days from the date of issue and requires renewal for events extending beyond 14 days. A separate permit may be required for each location. The contractor must make application on a schedule "A" electrical permit application form. Note: any production or show lasting longer than 6 weeks should see the provisions for annual permits.
  2. Annual Entertainment Permit. The fee for an annual entertainment permit is $180 (under review) and is valid for one calendar year starting on January 1. This permit is for in house productions at a permanent location e.g. Belfry Theater. Traveling shows like a concert, require a Temporary Entertainment Permit. Seasonal or long term productions lasting longer than 6 weeks are also covered under the requirements for annual permits. The Schedule "D" Permit application for can be picked up at City Hall.

Electrical Survey Permit Information

The City of Victoria requires an Electrical Survey Permit for the reconnection of an existing electrical installation that has been disconnected by BC Hydro. Any person responsible for the payment of BC Hydro charges can apply for a City of Victoria electrical survey permit. The permit application shall be made on a schedule "A" electrical permit application and the fee is $40. Once a survey permit has been applied for, arrangements must be made to give access for the Electrical Inspector to verify that the wiring has not been altered, damaged, or added to. If the Inspector determines there are any safety concerns or alterations made to the electrical installation then the applicant will be required to hire an Electrical Contractor of their choice to make repairs and obtain a Regular Electrical Permit for the work.

Your contractor will be required to correct deficiencies and verify that the altered circuits are safe and comply with The Canadian Electrical Code and City of Victoria Bylaws. A re-inspection will be required prior to a reconnect order being issued. The Survey Permit fee does not cover the cost of any Regular Permit required.

Supplementary Permit Information

A Supplementary Permit is a permit that extends the original job. It is calculated as a regular permit. A Supplementary Permit is required when the original job costs have increased beyond the value that was originally declared or when the scope of work increases beyond the original contract.

A Supplementary Permit may also be required if the original permit has expired due to inactivity.

Operating Permit Information

An Operating Permit is a special permit for the maintenance and operation of a regulated product and is typically the maintenance of a building. The regulation for this is outlined in the Safety Standards Act M 63 Part 2 - 18 and 19. Regulation of the Minister Of Community, Aboriginal And Women's Services. If you have any questions regarding Operating Permits please contact the Chief Electrical Inspector directly.