2019 Firefighter Recruitment Competition
The 2019 Firefighter Recruitment Competition submission timeline is July 15 – August 30, 2019. (NOTE: Applications received outside this specified timeline will not be accepted.)
The Victoria Fire Department conducts one firefighter recruitment competition every two to three years to establish a Firefighter Eligibility Pool. The number of firefighters hired from the Pool may differ each year as the number of vacancies available is based on attrition due to retirements and staff turnover.
What We’re Looking For
The Victoria Fire Department is looking for individuals who are community-minded, skilled professionals, and trained to use the latest fire suppression technologies and rescue techniques. We strongly encourage candidates to bring their unique strengths and skill sets to the application process. Our diversity strengthens us and improves our ability to serve our community.
We seek candidates who are self-motivated, hardworking team players, committed to continuous improvement and learning, and strive for excellence in customer service. We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome all qualified individuals to apply.
Victoria Fire Department firefighters are members of the International Association of Fire Fighters (IAFF) Local 730.
- On July 24, the application process and timeline were updated. Please see Stage 2.3 in the Application Guide [PDF - 384 KB] for details.
How to Apply
Before applying online, potential applicants are encouraged to read the 2019 Victoria Fire Department Firefighter Application Guide.
Applicants are asked to have the required qualifications and certifications for the position as outlined in the Firefighter Application Guide. This includes the University of Victoria's or University of Alberta’s Physical Fitness Certificate, dated January 1, 2019 or more recent.
Starting July 15, applicants will be able to view the job posting at victoria.ca/jobs.
Early in the online application, you will be asked to upload a resume. You are only able to upload ONE document. This document needs to be uploaded as a single PDF and must contain ALL of the following:
- Cover Letter
- Copies of the following qualifications:
- University of Victoria or University of Alberta Physical Fitness Certificate dated January 1, 2019 or more recent
- NFPA 1001 Firefighter 1 and 2
- WorkSafeBC Occupational First Aid Level 2 or BC First Responder Level 3, or equivalent
- Canadian Citizenship or Landed Immigrant Status
- Proof of Grade 12 or equivalent
- Valid British Columbia Class 3 Drivers Licence with Air Brake Endorsement or equivalent
- Driver’s Abstract reflective of no more than six points within the last three years
- Canadian Coast Guard Pleasure Craft Operator Card
- Victoria Fires Department Recruit Firefighter Self-Evaluation Questionnaire (See Appendix of the Application Guide.)
The competition timeline outlined in the Firefighter Application Guide is subject to change. Please check back here and follow @CityofVictoria on Twitter and City of Victoria Local Government on Facebook for updates.Go to Top