Victoria has an efficient public transportation system, with local bus service around the region provided by BC Transit.

Transit operations, services and routes in the City of Victoria are the responsibility of BC Transit. Our transit network includes service within the municipality as well as connections to neighbouring municipalities and key destinations including universities and colleges, Swartz Bay Terminal, the Airport and both major hospitals.

Annual Youth U-PASS - Apply today for 2023!

The Youth U-PASS program allows youth 13 to 18 years of age to travel for free on the Victoria Regional Transit System, Youth living in the municipality of Victoria can apply online for their free annual U-PASS for January 1 to December 31, 2023. 

As of September 1, 2021 riders 12 and under can use the Victoria Regional Transit System free of charge.

Apply for the youth U-PASS at

Who is Eligible?

  • Youth 13-18 years of age residing within the municipal boundaries of the City of Victoria.

What documentation is required?

Participation in the U-PASS program requires documentation supporting proof of age and residency of the youth. The below examples are of accepted government issued identification showing both age and current address of the youth:

  • BC Services Card with current address of youth
  • BC Identification Card with current address of youth
  • BC Driver’s Licence with current address of youth

If youth do not have one of the forms of I.D. shown above that includes both age and current address, the following combination of current documents can be submitted:

Proof of Age:

One of the following is required:

  • BC Services card                    
  • BC Identification card
  • BC Driver’s licence
  • Birth Certificate
  • Passport
  • CareCard
  • Permanent Residence card
  • Indigenous and Northern Affairs Status card
  • International Student Identification card


Proof of Residency:

Two of the following documents are required to verify proof of residence. These documents can be in the name of a parent or guardian:

  • Property tax statement
  • Home owner insurance policy
  • Renter insurance policy
  • Utility Bill with service address, mailing address, and billing period
  • BC Vehicle registration
  • BC Government ID of parent or guardian (Driver’s licence, Health Services, Identity card)
  • Rental agreement (displaying landlord’s phone number and signature)
  • A formal homestay document or letter from the school declaring the home address

Victoria youth, their parents and/or guardians are required to provide documentation to confirm their eligibility to participate in the City of Victoria’s free Youth U-PASS Program. Youth that cannot apply online, can apply in-person at the Public Service Centre located in City Hall. Questions about the program can be directed to the City’s Public Service Centre by emailing or calling 250.385.5711.

The Youth U-PASS program collects your age and residency to determine eligibility for a free transit pass and to satisfy BC Transit’s requirements to limit the use of U-PASS to the individual it was issued to.  This information will not be used for any other purpose.  The legislated authority to collect your personal information is section 26(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.  If you require additional information regarding the collection of your personal information, please contact the Information Access and Privacy Analyst at or by phone at 250.361.0347.

Additional Youth U-PASS Information

How long will it take to receive my U-PASS after I apply?

Your youth U-PASS will arrive by mail 7-10 business days after you submit your application. If the application requires additional review, you will receive an email with further direction.

Is there a deadline to apply for the 2022 Youth U-PASS?

Applications for a 2022 U-PASS can be made in person until December 31, 2022.

What happens if a pass is lost or misplaced?

If you lose your pass please contact the Public Service Team by phone at 250.385.5711 or email to apply for a replacement.

What months are the youth U-PASS valid for?

The U-PASS is valid for the calendar year. The expiration date is displayed on the pass.

What if I live in Victoria but go to school in Saanich, or vice versa?

All youth 13-18 years of age living in Victoria are eligible for the U-PASS program regardless of where they go to school. Youth and students from other municipalities that attend schools within the City of Victoria are not eligible for the Youth U-PASS program. Youth 12 years and under always ride for free on BC Transit.

Why did my portrait or selfie not meet the requirements?

The photo you submit is printed on the U-PASS and must meet quality standards to be accepted. We encourage you to take a photo specifically for the U-PASS. Samples of acceptable photos are included in the application for reference. 

Why is my address not recognized in the U-PASS application form?

Only addresses within the boundaries of the City of Victoria will be recognized in the application. If you have verified that you reside within Victoria and your address is not being recognized in our application form, please contact our Public Service Team for assistance by email at or by calling 250.385.5711.

We have a split family – one parent lives in Victoria and the other is in a different municipality. Can we still participate?

Yes, please provide the required proof of age and documentation with the address for the parent who is living in Victoria.

I received an “Error:500 Internal Server Error” when applying online, what does that mean?

Our system gives you that error message if your files are too big. Please try again using jpg. files only. Large PDF documents are not supported by our application system.

Can a youth U-PASS be used on a Handi-Dart service?

Yes, they can be used on all BC Transit services in the Capital Regional District.

Additional BC Transit Information:

For more information on fares, maps and schedules visit

Rider's Guides are available on the bus, at the Visitor Information Centre and various merchants and information booths. For more information call BC Transit at 250.382.6161.