Design: The Hillside/Quadra corridor will extend the Vancouver Street AAA route through the neighbourhood
and to the Saanich border at Tolmie Avenue. The design proposes a shared-use facility from Bay Street along Graham Street, on Vista Heights and then north up Fifth Street. The proposed design includes traffic calming improvements to reduce vehicle speeds and traffic volumes, and will include safer crossings for pedestrians and cyclists at major intersections. The Hillside Quadra route requires a creative and suitable design response
adjacent to Quadra Elementary School.
The Graham/Fifth alignment poses a unique design challenge near Quadra Elementary School. City staff will be working with the school community to explore suitable design treatments that can meet the student recreation, school safety and community transportation needs.
Other alignments that were explored include:
- Graham Street and Jackson Street to Tolmie Ave (less desirable from a topography perspective)
- Graham Street and Topaz Street, across Quadra, through Topaz Park, and up Yew Street to Tolmie Ave (less desirable from a direct route perspective; will require interim treatments until Topaz Park master plan is implemented)
- Graham Street and Summit Avenue, up Quadra Street and across at Spruce Street, through Topaz Park, and up to Yew Street to Tolmie Ave (less desirable from a direct route perspective; will have higher costs; and will require interim treatments until Topaz Park master plan is implemented)
Engagement: The insights and feedback from the public gathered this spring will help inform the recommended designs that will be presented to Council later this spring. Detailed design is anticipated for the summer and construction starting in the fall.
Please note, an additional Open House engagement opportunity has been added on Tuesday, April 23 from 4:30-6:30pm at City Hall
- Open House & Design Workshop: Saturday April 6, 2019 between 10am – 1pm at Victoria City Hall
- On-street information stations: Sunday April 7, 2019
- Open House & Design Workshop: Monday April 8, 2019 between 11am – 1pm AND 3pm – 5pm at Victoria City Hall
Click here to see the design concepts and engagement content for the 2019 projects:Hillside - Quadra 2019 Engagement Boards.pdf [PDF - 11 MB]
Additional design workshops, walking tours, and design charrette events are anticipated for this corridor during the month of April 2019. The best designs come from the insights, experience and ideas of neighbours, commuters and people who use these corridors. We invite you to help us explore the ideas and strategies to improve safety for people on bicycles and balance the needs of all road users.
Go to Top