Victoria has an efficient public transportation system, with local bus service around the region provided by BC Transit.

The frequent transit network includes connections to neighbouring municipalities and between downtown and key destinations including universities and colleges and the Royal Jubilee Hospital.

Youth Transit Pass Program Now Online

Youth living in the municipality of Victoria can now apply online for their free monthly transit pass. This new online option allows youth or their parents to provide their information without having to visit City Hall and have their passes for June, July and August mailed to their home.

Who is Eligible?

Youth who are eligible for this monthly pass program must be:

  • A resident of Victoria
  • 18 years of age or under

What Documentation is required?

This program is for City of Victoria residents only. Participation requires proof of age and residency for the child. The following forms of identification are acceptable to confirm both age and City of Victoria residency for children 18 and under.

  • BC Health Services Card with current address of child
  • BC Identification Card with current address of child
  • BC Driver’s Licence with current address of child

If a youth does not have one of the above with a Victoria address, the following documents are REQUIRED to prove age and residency.

Proof of Age:

Any one (1) of the following items for your child:

  • Birth certificate
  • Passport
  • Indigenous and Northern Affairs Status Card
  • International Student Identification Card


Proof of Residency:

Any two (2) of the following items:

  • Current property tax statement
  • Current home owner insurance documents
  • Current renter insurance documents
  • Current Utility Bill with address (City of Victoria, BC Hydro, Shaw, Telus etc)
  • Current BC Vehicle registration with address
  • Valid BC Driver’s license with address for parent or guardian
  • Valid BC Identification card with address for parent or guardian
  • A rental agreement or lease signed with landlord’s contact phone number
  • A formal homestay document or a formal letter from the school stating the youth's homestay address

Victoria youth, their parents and/or guardians will still be required to provide documentation and confirm their eligibility to participate in the City of Victoria’s free monthly transit pass program. Youth that cannot apply online can contact the City’s Public Service Centre by emailing or calling 250.385.5711.

This program is for youth age 18 and under residing in the municipality of Victoria and participation requires proof of age and residency.

The Free Youth Bus Pass program collects your age and residency to determine eligibility for a free, monthly, youth bus pass and to satisfy BC Transit’s requirements regarding the use of monthly bus passes only by the individual it was issued to.  This information will not be used for any other purpose.  The legislated authority to collect your personal information is section 26(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act.  If you require additional information regarding the collection of your personal information, please contact the Information Access and Privacy Analyst at or by phone at 250.361.0347. 

Additional Youth Transit Pass Information: 

When does this program start?

This program will be offered in its current form from December 2019 to August 2020. The City will be working with partners to offer a more convenient annual pass option by September 2020.


What if I live in Victoria but go to school in Saanich, or vice versa?

All youth 18 years of age or under are eligible for the youth transit pass program regardless of where or if they go to school. Youth and students from other municipalities that attend schools within the City of Victoria are not eligible for the youth transit pass program offered by the City.

We have a split family – one parent lives in Victoria and the other is in a different municipality. Can we still participate?

Yes, bring the required proof of age and documentation with address for the parent who is living in Victoria.


Are passes able to be used on Handi-Dart service?

Yes, they can be used on all BC Transit services in the capital region.

What happens if my child loses or misplaces their pass?

Monthly passes are not replaceable.

For any additional questions regarding the new youth transit pass program, please email: 


Additional BC Transit Information:

For more information on fares, maps and schedules visit

Rider's Guides are available on the bus, at the Visitor Information Centre and various merchants and information booths. For more information call BC Transit at 250.382.6161.