Victoria has an efficient public transportation system, with local bus service around the region provided by BC Transit.
The frequent transit network includes connections to neighbouring municipalities and between downtown and key destinations including universities and colleges and the Royal Jubilee Hospital.
Youth Transit Pass Program 2019
Youth residing in the municipality of Victoria can now receive a free monthly transit pass from the City of Victoria. Starting on Tuesday November 19, 2019 Victoria youth can take advantage of the City of Victoria free monthly transit pass program.
Passes will be available for pick up Monday through Friday from 8am – 4:30pm from the Public Service Centre at City Hall and are valid on all BC Transit and Handi-Dart buses in the Greater Victoria system.
Who is Eligible?
Youth who are eligible for this monthly pass program must be:
- A resident of Victoria
- 18 years of age or under
What Documentation is required?
This program is for City of Victoria residents only. Participation requires proof of age and residency for the child. The following forms of identification are acceptable to confirm both age and City of Victoria residency for children 18 and under.
- BC Health Services Card with current address of child
- BC Identification Card with current address of child
- BC Driver’s Licence with current address of child
If a youth does not have one of the above with a Victoria address, the following documents are REQUIRED to prove age and residency.
Proof of Age:
Any one (1) of the following items for your child:
- Birth certificate
- Indigenous and Northern Affairs Status Card
- International Student Identification Card
Proof of Residency:
Any two (2) of the following items:
- Current property tax statement
- Current home owner insurance documents
- Current renter insurance documents
- Current Utility Bill with address (City of Victoria, BC Hydro, Shaw, Telus etc)
- Current Canadian bank statement with address
- Current credit card statement with address
- Current BC Vehicle registration with address
- Valid BC Driver’s license with address for parent or guardian
- Valid BC Identification card with address for parent or guardian
- Purchase agreement for home
- A rental agreement or lease signed with landlord’s contact phone number
- Current year property Notice of Assessment (BC Assessment)
- Income tax notice of assessment issued in current year
This program is for youth age 18 and under residing in the municipality of Victoria and participation requires proof of age and residency.
Additional Youth Transit Pass Information:
When does this program start?
This program will be offered in its current form from December 2019 to August 2020. The City will be working with partners to offer a more convenient annual pass option by September 2020.
Where and when can I pick up my pass each month?
Passes are available from City Hall Monday – Friday from 8am – 4:30pm. Passes will be available mid-month for the next month. At this time, proof of age and residency is required each month to participate.
What if I live in Victoria but go to school in Saanich, or vice versa?
All youth 18 years of age or under are eligible for the youth transit pass program regardless of where or if they go to school. Youth and students from other municipalities that attend schools within the City of Victoria are not eligible for the youth transit pass program offered by the City.
We have a split family – one parent lives in Victoria and the other is in a different municipality. Can we still participate?
Yes, bring the required proof of age and documentation with address for the parent who is living in Victoria.
Can my child come in on their own to pick up passes?
As long as the child has the required documentation (proof of age; proof of address), they can come in on their own to pick up their pass.
Are passes able to be used on Handi-Dart service?
Yes, they can be used on all BC Transit services in the capital region.
What happens if my child loses or misplaces their pass?
Monthly passes are not replaceable.
For any additional questions regarding the new youth transit pass program, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information on fares, maps and schedules visit www.bctransit.com
Rider's Guides are available on the bus, at the Visitor Information Centre and various merchants and information booths. For more information call BC Transit at 250.382.6161.
Go to Top