We offer a variety of ways to pay your utility bill, including pre-authorized payments.

The Pre-authorized Payment Program offers an easy and convenient way to pay your utility bill automatically through your bank account, three times a year, on your utility bill due date. You will still receive a copy of your bill in the mail for your records, but you won't have to wait in line, write cheques or pay postage or late fees. Your bill will always be paid on time - even when you're on vacation.

Signing up for the Pre-authorized Payment Plan is easy. Download the application form [PDF - 533 KB] or pick one up at City Hall.

  1. Can I access my utility account information online?

    Access your utility account information online 24 hours a day to review billing history.

  2. Moving? Name or address change?

    If you are moving or changing your name of mailing address please contact utility billing for a special reading, email us at utilities@victoria.ca or phone 250.361.0226.

  3. How often are utilities billed and what are the billing dates?

    Utilities are billed every 4 months; there are 4 different billing groups:

    • January, May and September 15
    • February, June and October 15
    • March, July and November 15
    • April, August and December 15
  4. When is my utility bill due and what happens if I can't pay?

    The utility bill is due and payable by the due date indicated on the front of the utility bill. A late payment charge will be imposed on overdue accounts. As of December 31, any outstanding amount billed before November will be transferred to the property tax roll as property arrears.

  5. What happens when an outstanding utility amount is transferred to the property tax roll?

    It owes on the property taxes as arrears on the property. Interest accumulates at the going tax rate from the 1st of January until the date of payment is received.

  6. Is GST included on the utility bill?

    No, utilities are exempt from GST.

  7. What charges are on the utility bill for City of Victoria properties?

  8. Why are CRD sewer charges on my utility bill?

    In 2009, a phased process began to base CRD sewer costs on your metered water use, rather than on your assessed property value. Since then, a percentage of CRD sewer costs has been reflected on your utility and property tax bills. As of January 1, 2011, the CRD sewer cost is based solely on your metered water consumption and charges will appear only on your utility bills.

    This change is due to the anticipated costs associated with secondary sewage treatment mandated for the Capital Region. Basing sewer charges on water consumption is considered a best practice, and a more equitable system than basing on assessed property value. In addition, this system will enable you to potentially reduce your CRD sewer costs by reducing the amount of water you use.

  9. Does the City of Victoria bill Esquimalt properties?

    Yes, the City owns and maintains the Esquimalt waterworks system.

  10. What charges are on the utility bill for Esquimalt properties?

    Water consumption and service charge only, sewer and garbage are billed on Esquimalt property taxes.

  11. Is it customary for the tenant or the owner to receive the utility bill?

    The tenant, property manager or the owner can receive the utility bill, but the owner is always responsible for any outstanding amounts.

  12. Is a new owner responsible for arrears on the utility bill prior to the possession date?

    Utilities are a charge against the property and any outstanding amounts incurred by the previous owner stays outstanding against the property to where the water was delivered.

  13. Owner responsibility

    Owners are required to give notice to the Utility Billing Department of any change of ownership. Persons purchasing property should see that utility rates are paid; the current property owner is responsible for utility accounts unpaid by former owners or occupants.

  14. Is a new tenant responsible for arrears on the utility bill prior to their occupancy date?

    A new tenant is not responsible for arrears owing prior to their occupancy date, but this amount will stay outstanding on the bill until it is paid. It is the owners' responsibility.

  15. Access to meters

    The homeowner must maintain clear access to the water meter to minimum of three feet on each side of the meter box and four feet above. Should it become necessary for the Water Department to clear the access to the water meter box to obtain a reading, these costs will be added to your water account.

  16. How is residential garbage calculated?

    Garbage is billed based on the legal occupancy of the property (the number of dwelling units) not the number of cans collected.

    • Single Family Dwelling = 1 dwelling unit
    • Duplex = 2 dwelling units
    • Triplex = 3 dwelling units
    • Fourplex = 4 dwelling units
    • and so on...
  17. What is the residential garbage rate per dwelling unit and when was the last rate change?

    Effective January 1, 2023 the rates are as follows:

    •   80 Litre Bin = $70.86 every 4 months
    • 120 Litre Bin = $81.10 every 4 months
    • 180 Litre Bin = $96.46 every 4 months
    • 240 Litre Bin = $162.20 every 4 months (1 bin shared by 2 dwellings within same property/one folio)
    • 240 Litre Bin = $212.58 every 4 months (1 bin shared by 3 dwellings within same property/one folio)
    • No Grey Garbage Bin = $70.86 every 4 months
  18. What happens if I change my bin size or the bin is lost or damaged?

    • Change of Bin Size = $30 per request
    • Lost or Damaged Bin = Actual Cost of Replacement / Repair of Bin
  19. How much are extra garbage tickets?

    The fee for extra garbage tickets is $4 each at a maximum of 15 kg per bag.

  20. Where can I find more information about the Kitchen Scraps and Garbage Program?