The stormwater system helps to manage rain and runoff in our city.
The stormwater system helps reduce flooding and manages our city’s rain and runoff by moving stormwater away from our homes and businesses and improving the quality of the stormwater that flows into our creeks and ocean.
When rain falls on hard city surfaces like roads and buildings, it can pick up oils, metals and other contaminants that can end up in our waterways and oceans.
Green stormwater infrastructure (GSI) such as rain gardens, green roofs, bioswales, tree cells and permeable pavers help absorb and treat rainwater where it falls, slowing the flow of water and cleaning it before releasing it back into the environment and surrounding water bodies.
To work alongside traditional stormwater pipes and drains, the City is moving toward increasing our city’s green stormwater infrastructure to help:
- Protect our waterways and keep them clean for recreation and wildlife habitat
- Reduce flooding and increase our infrastructure resiliency to climate change weather events such as extreme storms and drought
- Use rain as a resource
- Reduce infrastructure cost as GSI is typically less expensive to maintain than traditional stormwater pipes
- Increase greenspace and support our urban ecosystem by bringing nature back into city parks, facilities and pedestrian zones
Apply for Rainwater Rewards
Are you interested in managing rainwater more sustainably and saving some money? The City’s Rainwater Rewards program has been designed to help property owners to better manage their rainwater. Learn more here
Your Property's Stormwater Utility Bill
Stormwater utility bills are sent out to property owners in October. Prior to 2016, stormwater fees were collected through your property tax. The new utility is a user-pay system, connecting the impact a property has on the stormwater system directly to the bill. Learn more about your stormwater utility bill here.
Find answers to common questions about your property's connection to the stormwater management system here.
- Find CRD stormwater and rainwater management information here.
- Watch a video about past, present and future of stormwater management in Victoria here.
If you have any questions about the stormwater utility or the Rainwater Rewards program please contact the Stormwater Specialist at 250.361.0443 or email@example.com.